Remove coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible to remove coraline algae from an established FOWLR tank without removing livestock? Would keeping the lights off over a long period of time work, doesn't sound like it would...

if its on the glass just scrape it off.. I don't see any reason on removing it unless its on the glass. where on the tank are u trying to remove it from?

Jereli said:
if its on the glass just scrape it off.. I don't see any reason on removing it unless its on the glass. where on the tank are u trying to remove it from?

Thanks for the reply, I would like to rid it from the entire system. So scraping it will just let it settle elsewhere. Not sure if I can remove it without taking the aquarium down...

Not sure if cutting the lights would do it... new to SW tanks myself. I just put some cured LR in my system with some coraline on it, so I am just curious as to why you want to remove it?

Yeah, me too. Most people want it covering their stuff. It looks good. Did you perhaps mean a different kind of nuisance algae?

Or if it is your preference to remove it from your system, I reckon lowering calcium and alk levels would help. Or at least stop it from growing.

fort384 said:
Not sure if cutting the lights would do it... new to SW tanks myself. I just put some cured LR in my system with some coraline on it, so I am just curious as to why you want to remove it?

Mainly because I'm setting up a new reef tank and making my old one FOWLR and just want to make it a little more maintenance free and simply just like the clean look without it. I'm still going to promote the growth of coraline in my reef tank. May sound mad but I was just curious if anyone knew how it could be done. I also don't think cutting the lights would do it, from the lights in the room it would probably continue to grow.

scottayy said:
Yeah, me too. Most people want it covering their stuff. It looks good. Did you perhaps mean a different kind of nuisance algae?

Or if it is your preference to remove it from your system, I reckon lowering calcium and alk levels would help. Or at least stop it from growing.

Yea it's purple coraline, just want a clean look with less work... Lowering calc could be the a good way to stunt it but doesn't sound like a good way to eradicate it... Hmmmm

I would scrape it clean then lower the calcium and alk. Are you using a reef mix or just a regular salt?

A brand specifically for reef aquariums will be higher in calcium.

scottayy said:
I would scrape it clean then lower the calcium and alk. Are you using a reef mix or just a regular salt?

A brand specifically for reef aquariums will be higher in calcium.

Thanks!

Sounds like a plan, I use the instant ocean mix.

Each type of coralline has it's own light requirements. If this one is growing mostly near the top, decrease lighting and it will start to die off. If it's near the bottom, ramp up the lighting.
If there isn't a ton of it, try affixing your razor blade to the end of a piece of tubing that will siphon out the flakes as you scrape them, not allowing any to settle. Obviously turn off the pumps for this.
Your best bet is to combine everyone's ideas. Light change, water chemistry change, etc.

Each type of coralline has it's own light requirements. If this one is growing mostly near the top, decrease lighting and it will start to die off. If it's near the bottom, ramp up the lighting.
If there isn't a ton of it, try affixing your razor blade to the end of a piece of tubing that will siphon out the flakes as you scrape them, not allowing any to settle. Obviously turn off the pumps for this.
Your best bet is to combine everyone's ideas. Light change, water chemistry change, etc.

Back
Top Bottom