Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Remove Hitchhicker Urchins??? Pics

I received 4 hitchhicker Urchins with my LR, I noticed that the Coraline Alage on the rocks they mainly stay on, which also gets the best light is getting severely depleted. Do you think i should remove them, all of them or some of them? If remove, how would i do that. Also, i heard that when Urchins die, they release a poison that will kill everything in the tank, is this true. Here is a link to a pic.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AaOGjdi4Ztq

Thanks,

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I removed all of mine. I got about 10 of them. I kept a few in my sump and they have done fine in there.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: Remove Hitchhicker Urchins??? Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish
I received 4 hitchhicker Urchins with my LR, I noticed that the Coraline Alage on the rocks they mainly stay on, which also gets the best light is getting severely depleted. Do you think i should remove them, all of them or some of them? If remove, how would i do that.
As long as you have no coral in the tank they are of little concern. Small immature urchins will feed on just about anything they can chew. As they mature their tastes will be primarily for algaes. With this guy though it is a rock boring species and loves coralline. The larger it gets, the more it will strip the rock so they will need to go in a year or so.

The easiest way to remove them unharmed is to wait until lights out when they're most active and quickly nudge them from the side with a plastic spoon or similar. Do not try prying them off or lifting them. They have an amazingly strong grip. They are easily knocked to the side and should not be damaged. Put them in a fuge or sump unless your LFS will take them. They most likely won't give you much if anything but IMO, worth the effort. Use a plastic food grade container to return/transport them.

Quote:
Also, i heard that when Urchins die, they release a poison that will kill everything in the tank, is this true. Here is a link to a pic.
As with anything it greatly depends on tank size and animal maturity but in general this is not true. They can definately foul the water quality if left to "the forces of nature".

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks guys, when i add coral in a couple of months, ill be sure to remove them all.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: Remove Hitchhicker Urchins??? Pics

what would they eat in the sump? only thing living in there are pods..
Old 06-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i personally dont have a sump but most people keep LR in there sump, they would probably feed off the LR.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got 13 of these on my first live rock. I kept them to adult size then sold them to lfs for 3bucks each. (better than what I expected) They were never a problem. They did eat some coralline but even in such numbers, not enough to really concern me. I did eventually get rid of all but one just because I was worried there wouldn't be enough food for them all and they are clumsy. That's the biggest issue I have with the one I have left. If a coral isn't glued down well, it's usually on the bottom of the tank by morning.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can mail them to me, I love urchins!!
Old 06-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

If one of these little *beep* would eat the coarline off the side of my sump so I could see in it I would buy two!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought two urchins to help with a massive hair algae problem. I scrubbed the rocks clean, and added the two urchins and my tank has been very clean since then (about a month). However, my LR is slowly losing the coraline. It's ok by me, I prefer plain looking LR over a hair algae farm anyday.

Tags
chi, ick, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com