Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well this one maxi-jet 900 powerhead will push 230 gallons before the mod and they claim 2000 gph after the mod, Now Im not sure if it does 2000 but it has to be quadrupled after...it makes some serious water flow.

Lucky or not Im keeping an eye on this topic, Ive been wanting to go without a filter for some time now but just didnt have the you know whats to do it.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm in the same boat. For quite a while I wanted to get rid of my hob filter, but just never had the guts to do it. I too am having some what of a nitrate problem and am thinking its comming from the filter. Ive got around 40-45 pounds in my 29 and have been skeptical, so I like to know if those results stay consistant. I was also worried about the surface getting enough movement as well.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did it over a pretty long period actually, although it seems like it was all done in the last few days.

I've been running on one filter cartridge for about a month (was time to replace them). Pulled the other one last week.

Then Wedneday I took out a biowheel. The spray bar going over the biowheels was really plugged, so it wasn't doing much anyway. Then I took out the other yesterday, and turned off the filter.

I'd also been running the filter on its lowest setting for about a week, to reduce its impact.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

So what your basically saying is that you have your filter completly turned off or are you just running it without a pad. I got rid of my bio wheels and was thinking bout doing the filter as well, and just keep the water movement going.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its gone - disconnected - out of the tank.

I started by turning down the flow, then removing one filter cartridge, then another, then one biowheel, then the second. Over about 2 weeks.

I added another PH, so I've got 2 PH's and the return line creating water flow. Might need a 3rd PH, but the one I bought at Petco was missing a part (apparently it was used and returned).

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Lucky or not Im keeping an eye on this topic, Ive been wanting to go without a filter for some time now but just didnt have the you know whats to do it.
I have done this as well. I did it VERY slowly. My canister had 4 sponges (fluvial 304). I had a feeling the sponges were producing nitrates. I noticed this, when I washed the sponges in FW. I noticed the algae didn't come back as quick. I then, had a HUGH cyano outbreak. I took out two sponges. Waited about 5 hours to see if there was a spike. No spike. I waited about a week (noticed the cyano quit spreading, but was still there). Then I removed the other two sponges, waited, tested and with in 4.5 days, the cyano was gone. I probably have about 50-60LBs (maybe a little more or less) in my 55G.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com