Removing an Anemone Properly? + Splitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you guys remove an anemone? I know it is important not to tear its foot.

Any tips or tricks?

I was also curious to know if there is some kind of a pattern for how often anemones split.

Thanks a lot! ;)

Lol. Blast that guy with the powerhead i guess. It usually works and if it doesnt then maybe try and get a toothpick or something and get under his foot. Now sure, worth a try

I've heard of putting flow from a power head on it, pointed at where the foot is held fast. Just not too much flow. I've also heard of trying to put an icecube right at the base, this is supposed to stiffen up the foot, allowing it to be gently pried off the mount.
I have never tried either of these approaches, as I didn't really have the need to move the Nem.
Just thought I would put it out there.

Just gently rub your finger along one spot as close to the base of his foot as possible for a minute or so. Soon you'll feel it slowly release a bit and you'll be able to barely get your finger under him. Keep gently rubbling under his foot and more and more and it will start to release. After another 1 or 2 minutes he should be off the rock, glass, whatever he's attached to. I've done this countless times though some individuals are easier than others.

+1 to the powerhead flow

I recently bought a frag of frogspawn that came with a small bubble tip anemone that was really cool, and on the ride home the anemone moved to the underside of the frag so placing it nicely was nearly impossible. So I thought I'd kinda put it in a spot that the anemone wouldn't like and let him move out on his own. I waited about a month and tried to get him off, but he hunkered down in a crack where I couldn't even get near his foot, and he was only about the size of a quarter anyways so I didn't want to take a chance hurting him by prying too hard. So I read on here and someone mention the powerhead thing, and it worked perfectly, after about a minute of holding the anemone in front of the flow he started to let go, I was then able to just pull him off and put him where I wanted and he's been fine since.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I have one more question for everyone while you're here, LOL.

If I were to touch the anemone, would its sting hurt me?

Thanks! :)

If the nem is a sebae, condy, long tentacle, or bubble tip, unless you're hyper senstive, they're just sticky. A carpet does tingle a little and might leave a rash in my experience, but nothing too awful for me. There are some nems we don't commonly keep that I understand do pack a punch. I think the tube or fireworks anemones might hurt, but I've never messed with them personally.

I use gloves when I mess with them, but I have touched my Condy a couple times, and on your hand (tougher skin) you can barely feel it, on soft skin like the underside of your forearm it is slightly irritating like you put some stout soap on there and didn't wash it off. Nothing you can't handle, but its scares me a little more than anything. And Condys are supposed to have one of the more powerful stings or at least more powerful than bta's.

Thanks guys, if I did get an anemone I would get a BTA(s).

I think my next tank build will be a shallow rimless tank with JUST BTA(s), with LED lighting. I would also have two designer Clowns in there, and some other fishes. :)

Another question: Can you keep different types of BTAs together? Like a Rose and a Green one?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Just gently rub your finger along one spot as close to the base of his foot as possible for a minute or so. Soon you'll feel it slowly release a bit and you'll be able to barely get your finger under him. Keep gently rubbling under his foot and more and more and it will start to release. After another 1 or 2 minutes he should be off the rock, glass, whatever he's attached to. I've done this countless times though some individuals are easier than others.

Who would have thought that a foot massage would do the trick !?

Starchar said:
Who would have thought that a foot massage would do the trick !?

rofl :)
I know, right. Some people put their hand in a fish bag to avoid risking skin irritation. I never bothered but I have had my wrist redden from a couple condys. It's getting them to stay put that's the tricky part! >_<
My clown always stayed in my long polyped mushroom leathers. Took the leathers a month to get used to it.

rofl :)
I know, right. Some people put their hand in a fish bag to avoid risking skin irritation. I never bothered but I have had my wrist redden from a couple condys. It's getting them to stay put that's the tricky part! >_<
My clown always stayed in my long polyped mushroom leathers. Took the leathers a month to get used to it.

The fact that they move is the reason why I would give the Anemones their own tank if I ever bought one(s). I wouldn't want one moving on a coral or anything like that.

I have a medium sized Condy and a small gbta, and the Condy moved around a little when I first got him, but now that he's found his spot he's stayed there, I've changed everything too, like flow, lighting, added stuff, I even moved his rock and he's stayed put. So sometimes they may not move much once they settle in.
My small gbta has never moved, but he is only about the size of a quarter and I haven't had him long (only about 6 weeks).

Back
Top Bottom