Removing Green Bubble Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aznbob

Aquarium Advice Regular
I spotted a small bubble algae a few days ago but didn't remove it. Today I checked and now there's tiny speck of these bubble algae (that I could barely see) everywhere. I was hoping that leaving one in there wouldn't be a problem but now there's atleast 20 small ones.

What to do now? Leave them in there and let them pop? Buy a crab to eat them? Wait for them to get bigger and remove manually?

aznbob said:
Wait for them to get bigger and remove manually

I never understood the emerald crab theory since in eating it, they are popping it for you. If your gonna do manual removal, do it outside the tank over a bucket of sw so if it pops, you can give it a good rinse before returning it to the tank. Another option is to starve it out. It is just a type of algae and without nitrates and phosphates to feed it, it should die out on it's own. Mine died out on it's own this way. HTH

I had emerald crabs that did a great job. They did pop, but the only ones that showed up after that grew towards the top of the tank. If any grew on the bottom, I didn't see them, or the crabs got to them before I knew they were there.

I also had good results with my emerald crab on Bubble algea. Cant find any more

Emeralds are hit and miss. Mine never touched it. I've read many posts on them with mixed reviews.

Back
Top Bottom