Removing sand from an established reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
I've kept care of my sand well IMO, I rake it about once a week. I also do two water changes a week, so I don't think I'll have much of a spike. I was dealing with cyano because I added a fish and was gone for a week but it's under control now. The sps are showing no signs of stress, fish aren't either. Now that I hear and read more about it, im going to take it even slower, I dont need this to be a huge ordeal. 2 Dixie cups a day sound safe?

Well if you do that It will be a gamble. I would take some out at every weekly water change so it is even slower . You can most Likely get away with that but I would not recommend that. Now if you want to do it that sort of way I'm shure you won't have any problems with one cup a day if you take good care of your sand like you told. Two cups will most likely work for you if you are really observant on the water and health of live stock.

Well, I believe it's time for an update :)

The tank is cyano free, and pretty much bryopsis free. I'm going to purchase a gfo reactor at some point, gotta get those phosphates bottomed out. The corals arent happy, but they sure aren't mad. Good polyp extension, just not that
amazing of color.

I'm about 90% done with the Sandbed and I like how it looks, there is a ton of new life in my fuge now that I've added a few inches of sand. If ya got any questions, please ask.

Nope but good glade you are happy and it all worked out for you. :)

needmorecowbell said:
Thanks! I'll post a pic whenever I'm completely done!

I'll be expecting them ;) but in the meantime finally posted my video if you wanna take a peek lol

Back
Top Bottom