Removing sand from an established reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a thirty gallon reef that's been up for about 3/4 of a year now and I'm wondering if I can remove the sand to make it a bare bottom. I have a 20 gallon sump if I need to keep the sand for some reason. Is it possible? Im tired of having sand.

Maybe suck some out with each water change for the next couple of months till its all gone? Getting it all out at once could be a big mess but bit by bit seems doable?

I forget, were you eggcrate or rockwork on the bottom? If the rock is on the bottom, it'll be simple enough to just slowly work on scooping the sand out. I have an all purpose glass measuring cup I use for just about everything. Something like that would do the trick until there wasn't much left. Then simply using airline tubing to suck it out during water changes until it was all gone. A cheap plastic turkey baster would also help.

Why are you removing it though? I've had similar thoughts at times, but I'm just going to end up having a different tank that is barebottom in the future.

Yeah it's on the glass. Im just wondering if it will hurt my tank biologically. Im guess taking it away bit by bit would be the smartest thing to do, but I want to make sure. I'm removing it for easier maintenance and I like the look.

Well, what I would do since you have to remove slowly would be then maybe add it to your fuge? I have no recollection as to what your fuge setup is like, but having the bacteria that lives in the sand still in the system would be beneficial IMO, even if it isn't DSB.

Yeah your right, I just started. I've put about two cups in my fuge, 3cups out of the display total. I've put the nassarius snails down there. It's very cloudy so I've added filter floss but it's not working very well.. I sure hope it works. It's going to be a much harder job than I expected, the smaller grains are staying at the bottom. Im guessing I'll have to use a turkey vaster for that part. I'll move two cups a day I'm thinking, one for the fuge, one for the garbage.

2 cups a day may be a bit to much being released into your tank I Think 2-4 cups before every water change would be better/safer (especially on that enchinata ;)..)

Alright, that's sounds great. Water changes will help clear up the water too. The echinata is doing just fine :) im moving to darker areas so I can get the most color out of it for you atm.

Ok sounds good lol I was actually gonna send you a PM. Do you need any chaeto cause I'm bout to trim and will probably have like a half lb that I'm just gonna throw away. Probably have about 3 lbs in my fuge lol

reefrunner69 said:
Disturbing the sand bed like that, keep an eye on your nitrates, I wouldn't be surprised to see them spike.

1+ I agree I will move my sand around during water changes to get some of the red algae out of there my nitrates will really spike .

Mrc8858 said:
Ok sounds good lol I was actually gonna send you a PM. Do you need any chaeto cause I'm bout to trim and will probably have like a half lb that I'm just gonna throw away. Probably have about 3 lbs in my fuge lol

No thanks, im about to trim mine as well.

reefrunner69 said:
Disturbing the sand bed like that, keep an eye on your nitrates, I wouldn't be surprised to see them spike.

That was one of the things I was thinking. Im going to do some water changes tomorrow just to make sure. I dont think I'll have too much of a problem though. I read on a different forum that bacteria would be at the top of the Sandbed when I move it, and It will die causing ammo spikes. The living bacteria would process it and turn it into trates as you said. So, if I'm putting It in my fuge, isn't that even worse? I'm keeping all the dead bacteria. I don't know, maybe it's still alive? I'll keep doing pwc's until it's done.

needmorecowbell said:
That was one of the things I was thinking. Im going to do some water changes tomorrow just to make sure. I dont think I'll have too much of a problem though. I read on a different forum that bacteria would be at the top of the Sandbed when I move it, and It will die causing ammo spikes. The living bacteria would process it and turn it into trates as you said. So, if I'm putting It in my fuge, isn't that even worse? I'm keeping all the dead bacteria. I don't know, maybe it's still alive? I'll keep doing pwc's until it's done.

Your nitrates will spike because of all the detritus that will be moved from the sand bed to the water column. Moving the sand to your fuge, provided you keep it wet..you should lose very little biological filtration. Your really just transplanting it, you will probably lose some bacteria, but doubtful you will see any ammonia spike. I would be more concerned with the nitrates and I would be torn between doing a larger transplant and getting the nitrates dealt with, or many smaller ones and having many more smaller spikes. I think arguments can be made for both views, but IMO smaller spikes can be dealt with easier and as the old add ages says...nothing good ever happens fast in a reef.

Yeah, that makes sense, well I'll keep up with the water changes and do chunks of sand each time. I got the right corners to glass.

needmorecowbell said:
Yeah, that makes sense, well I'll keep up with the water changes and do chunks of sand each time. I got the right corners to glass.

Sounds good but watch those nitrates if you want all your coral and inverts to make it through this stressful time for them. look for signs of that stress in the live stock and do a lot of water changes. If u see it because once the levels get up there they are difficult to get back down. But good luck and I under stand your reasoning on why you want to get it out of there. They are a bit more work that you may not have the time for. Good luck though. ?

I am going through this right now. I just added a fuge and I wanted to get my DT sand into the fuge. My sand bed was not well taken care of. I haven't vacuumed it since I inherited the tank in march and the last owner did not vacuum it either as far a I know. I havent had any issues with ammonia until I moved this sand. I spiked up to 1.5 after moving about 3-4 cups. I moved mine out with a net and it really clouded up my water. In the future, I am only moving it with a siphon prior to a water change.

I've kept care of my sand well IMO, I rake it about once a week. I also do two water changes a week, so I don't think I'll have much of a spike. I was dealing with cyano because I added a fish and was gone for a week but it's under control now. The sps are showing no signs of stress, fish aren't either. Now that I hear and read more about it, im going to take it even slower, I dont need this to be a huge ordeal. 2 Dixie cups a day sound safe?

needmorecowbell said:
I've kept care of my sand well IMO, I rake it about once a week. I also do two water changes a week, so I don't think I'll have much of a spike. I was dealing with cyano because I added a fish and was gone for a week but it's under control now. The sps are showing no signs of stress, fish aren't either. Now that I hear and read more about it, im going to take it even slower, I dont need this to be a huge ordeal. 2 Dixie cups a day sound safe?

Better be careful the older the sand the more thats trapped in it i stirred my sand once it totally messed up my parimeters stressed coral lost a couple never disturb an established sandbed if you have to take it sloooooww i have nas snails to keep it stirred this way it releases a very lil at a time

Back
Top Bottom