Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thelovablebum Send a message via MSN to thelovablebum Send a message via Yahoo to thelovablebum
removing scratches from glass?

Anybody know of a safe way to remove scratches from a sheet of glass? I have a 50ga with a bunch of little scratches on the glass. It is a old tank and i am resealing it so does it matter what kind of rubbing/polishing compound i use as long as i clean it off the glass really good before i put the tank back together. I was thinking about using mothers compound. What do you think? Any help will be greatfull.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

pretty much nothing will take scratches out of glass... your stuck with it

edit... i stand corrected... http://www.bostonaquariumsociety.org.../scratches.htm

doesnt sound too easy though
~mike

Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, so all I need to do is drain my entire tank and then buff out the scratches?

I'll just live with my scratches I think...

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thelovablebum Send a message via MSN to thelovablebum Send a message via Yahoo to thelovablebum
looks good
but a lot of work

I have another question. If i use a buffing compound that is harmful to fish is it possible to wash them off the glass? I have heard that the silicon can absorb chemicals so is i possible for the glass to do the same thing?

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com