Replacement Elements - Stupid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandyStacyE

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read that you can use "Pickling Lime" mixed with RO/DI for water replacement. I forget where I read it.

I have been using RO/DI for 2-3 months with no replacement elements.
I bought the lime but i'm afraid to use it without atleast some advice. I assume it isn't the best thing to use.

Any tips?

You should not add anything to your tank you don't test for, pickling lime (Calcium Hydroxide) buffers calcium and ALK. It is a good addative, but should not be added if you do not know that you need it.

I assume it isn't the best thing to use.

Why is that?

Take 1tsp of pickling lime and mix it in 1 gal of RO water. Shake it up real good and then let sit for a day. Then use a drip line to drip the clear water into the tank. Do not add the white power at the bottom of your container. Test your alk and calcium to find the proper mixture. Depending on your calcium load you might have to add more lime than 1tsp or add less.

Shoot! I tried a calcium test before and I swear it was a joke. You do little drops, add some powder or something and then look for a difference in color. Always looks clear. I mean, you can't with the naked eye tell a difference with any accuracy between clear and the 20 different shades of blue which will determine your level. I forget what brand name tester it was.

I forgot where I read that the lime has something "undesirable" in it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I knew what I was doing.

So, I should measure my "Alk and my calcium"? Any suggestions as to what a good/reliable kit? I am still interested.

Thanks for your replies.

Most CA tests are titration tests these days and all you look for is a color change from pink to blue. The salifert test for CA and ALK are both easy to use and very accurate.

Cool. I'll check out those tests. I dug out my test kit. It is "Meerwasser Seawater" Tropic Marin, calcium test kit. It's German.

Back
Top Bottom