Replacement Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhmuse

Aquarium Advice Regular
It is time to replace the florescent light (36 in. I believe) that came standard with my 46 gal. bowfront. I only want to replace the bulb and not the entire fixture. What I want it to do is show off the color of the fish (this is a fish only tank) and eventually be able to support live rock. I'm not necessarily looking for coralline algae growth, but I do want enough light to keep/grow macro algae for my Potter's Angel to graze on.

Thanks for the advice....Jake

You really cant do all of that with one bulb. IF you want to show of the color, go with a HIGHER spectrum light. Like 12k. 6500 is very yellow 20k is very blue. I would stick in the middle. Most people on a budget go with PC lighting, or VHO. I would go with an ICECAP ballast (440 should be good for your tank, but if you ever upgrade the 660 is probably worth the $$$) and throw some VHO's(one white, and one actinic) in there. I personally like MH's with Actinic VHO's though

Back
Top Bottom