Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Do you think it could be the sea weed
Possibly.

Those flakes will do it too.
I feed every other day, once a day.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sponges and bio wheels can become nitrate factories if not cleaned on a regular basis. Plus dead algae on a clip will produce nitrate. I would not leave this in the water.

How did you replace the bio wheel with lr. Bio wheels are driven by water current or spray heads.

The reason for putting lr in a canister or overflow filter is to provide a place for beneficial bacteria to grow.

There are other ways to reduce nitrates like dsb and refugiums, also lr which you already have.
Hopefully this will help,
I was in the same boat that you are in once, could not get my nitrates below 20. So i updated my equipment put in a 4 to 5 inch dsb, added a refugium with macro algae, and installed a remora pro protein skimmer.
Now my nitrates are 0 to 5.
that just my 2 cents.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I'd stop w/the 24/7 algea clip. It, like any other food will decay. Not that it may be long enuf to do that, but you still got food constantly in the water which isn't good IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree about the seaweed, I would just leave it a few hrs then remove it. Also it will probably take some time after removing the bio wheels for things to change. And how big is that Angel? A tank may get high nitrates if the bio load is too large.
JMO and I'm no expert
Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I took the algae out and will be putting it inthe water everyother day probably. As for the bio wheel, I think im just gonna clean it and put it back by the pumps. The angel is still a juvenille and is really on about two inches. Theres only three fish in the tank, and the other two are quite small. I havent had any problems with the three fish in the tank for about two months. I think im gonna wind up adding some more lr also, I know I could use a little bit more. The weird thing is that I used two different test kits for my tank nitrate levels and they both show 20, but when it was tested at the lfs he told me it was at zero, quite odd. Ill put the bio wheel back in and post what the water parameters are later tonight. Oh by the way, would it be bad if I put the lr rubble on top of my filter pad along with the bio wheel? Thanks alot........
Old 07-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking about totally and permanatley removing my bio filter pad out of my Skilter 250, and fill the remaining space with LR rubble......

Good idea?

I am also locked in a war with nitrates!

I have narrowed it down to the filter pad being my only source possible...I have no fish stock, only 2 anemones and a feather duster.

I have only been hesitant to remove it because I am not sure if it is still performing biological filtration, or hindering it. I dont want a spike either.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I am doing the same thing. I am conducting an experiment. I have a fluvial 304 with 4 sponges. This past weekend, I removed 2 of the sponges and my phosphates went from 1 to .05 in 5 hours. I will do a PWC tonight and take more readings. I was advised it can take 4-5 days for the tank to level out. This weekend I'll remove the other two sponges and get som results and post my whol "diary" with pics....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't get it...

People talk about nitrates as if its coming from the filter pads/sponges.

Its a direct result of the amonnia - nitrite - nitrate conversion.

AFAIK, the only way to eliminte it is berlin filtration with 1-2 pounds of LR per gallon, lots of macroalgae in a fuge, or lots of PWC.

Unless something is consuming nitrate, its going to be present, and not just "go away" when you remove filter media, and as the end product of the ammonia/nitrite remove, its going to continue building, non-stop.

Right?

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
Unless something is consuming nitrate
Great reason to buy a clam!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDemTails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
Unless something is consuming nitrate
Great reason to buy a clam!
Really?

Tags
bio, eel, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com