Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2004, 03:28 AM   #21

Wouldn't save alot more money by just avoiding the DSB then?? I mean I never heard of OTS with cc or ssb or bb.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:51 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That is also where the big question lies...you've been doing SW for 8 months...can you actually forsee NOT upgrading within 5-7 years? much less 7-10...
Hehe.. I already have dreams of a larger tank and mine just got started.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:05 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Yeah. I just bought and set up a 55, now i'm thinking 155 bowfront.....
Old 02-25-2004, 09:26 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh..I got my 175bow about 6 months ago. I plan on upgrading to a 500 w/i the next 5 years! Cant wait....The cool thing is that my wife is as addicted as I am...I wont even have to talk her into it!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

As another one who has just switched my cc for DSB I am hoping for the best that this will all be figured out by the time I am heading for OTS. The main reason for my switch was to get control of nitrates before introduction of corals.

I think the more difficult question is how to control nitrates without a DSB rather than worrying about what will happen in 5-7 years.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I think the more difficult question is how to control nitrates without a DSB rather than worrying about what will happen in 5-7 years.
1.5 lbs - 2lbs LR per gallon of tank volume, aggressive protien skimming, 1-1.5" sandbed, limited nutirent import and not overstocking have always worked for me. Actually my 150 was overstocked and I still didn't have a nitrate problem. The thing is to look at the big picture, there is [b]no]/b] one thing that can make a tank perfect, it is the whole enchilada

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok now I have a dumb question. If my tank is a 46 gal and I have 4 to5 inches of sand, and 40 lbs of rock (about 45 but I'm not counting the base rock I stuck in), then my actual tank volume should be somewhere around 38 gal. correct? Would that be the figure I use?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

If you have a 5" DSB, you won't have to worry about it, my suggestions (experience actually) is without a DSB. But to answer the question the figure would be net gallons, so 46.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
But to answer the question the figure would be net gallons, so 46.
I thought the term net implied "containing" as in if you buy a bag of ls it's net 20 lbs so you get 20 lbs of stuff. not including the packaging. That being the case would we still go by the "empty" tank volume. I'm not arguing, just trying to under stand why we do what we do.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:30 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

I apologize, I meant gross not net, been up since early this morning.

net volume would be minus the displacement, gross would be the tank volume total. At anyrate, I'm not sure whare the number comes from, simply that it is, it's not hard and fast either, you would need less weight of a very pourous light weight rock with lots of surface area that of a more dense less porous rock.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com