replacing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 55 I wanna replace the substrate I have about 100 lbs rock in dt and 15lbs in Sump what's the best way to go about this without causing a cycle tanks a year old

In my 55 I wanna replace the substrate I have about 100 lbs rock in dt and 15lbs in Sump what's the best way to go about this without causing a cycle tanks a year old

Slowly. :)

Were it me, I'd replace 25% of the substrate, then test parameters frequently. If all goes well, a week later, I'd replace another 25%, etc..

If switching out 25% of the substrate touched off a mini-cycle, I'd wait until two weeks after the cycle reestablished itself, and then reduce the amount of substrate being changed out at any one time.

At 25% I would imagine that any recycling you do get will be relatively small, short-lived, and easy to manage.

Good luck!

Slowly. :)

Were it me, I'd replace 25% of the substrate, then test parameters frequently. If all goes well, a week later, I'd replace another 25%, etc..

If switching out 25% of the substrate touched off a mini-cycle, I'd wait until two weeks after the cycle reestablished itself, and then reduce the amount of substrate being changed out at any one time.

At 25% I would imagine that any recycling you do get will be relatively small, short-lived, and easy to manage.

Good luck!

Just to follow-up:

I'm a freshwater, not saltwater, but I imagine the logic behind replacing substrate slowly applies equally to each environment.

I did, however, want to point this out in case you wanted to wait for someone with actual saltwater experience to answer before embarking on your plan to change the substrate.

Best!

Last edited:
Well you are correct.

Slow is better. Also replace with dry sand not live sand. If you replace with live sand then expect much larger mini cycle.

Back
Top Bottom