Replacing tank. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im in the process of replacing my old, scratched up 75G tank with a new RR Oceanic 75G. I have a few questions:

Im planning to replace the sandbed:
1. What grade should I buy? Fine, medium, large? I want to be able to keep some kind of barrow or sandsifting goby so I was thinking of going with medium or large to avoid sand flying around. Is there an advantage of having fine sand?

2. How many pounds of sand do i need to achieve a 1 - 1.5' sandbed in a 75G?

3. What's the best/most used brand of sand? Why?

4. Since Im replacing the sandbed, would I need to re-cycle my tank? I have about 160 pounds of cured LR.

My tank should be here in 2 or 3 weeks. I took all my fish to a LFS. They are staying there til I finish setting up the new tank. Right now. Most of my LR is in a 29G and a 5G bucket. Im placing the corals back into the 75 once the water is cleared up so they can get some light.

5. Can I keep the LR un-lighted in the 29G? Any problem if i do this?. I don't want to move 160 pounds of rock back then out again once the tank is here :/.

That's all, FOR NOW

Thanks in Advance

If your rock stays cured then you should be OK. With that amont of LR for that size tank

I moved all the rock into my old 29G. It has a Maxijet900 running in there so i hope the rock stay cured.

Thanks for the reply. More inputs please

i did the same thing when i transfered a 20 gal to my current 55 gal. i set up the tank with saltwater, added new sand and waited for it to settle (took a couple of days) and then started my transfer. i went to fine sand because the larger grain was a pain to keep clean, but still used some of the it to help with the bacteria (wish i hadnt, im trying to remove it now). also, its easier on the sand loving critters and imo looks better, :). to avoid blowing sand all over, just have to position ph's correctly. since your fish are at the lfs, you can do all of this and check your parameters after a day or so to check for a re-cycle. i didnt have one tho. hth.

Back
Top Bottom