Replenishing sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

couture99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, I have been fought a winning battle against red slime, switched to r/o water, pwc, and syphoning, anyways tank has been clear of slime for couple weeks, and parameters are good. But In the process I have removed a fair amount if my sand bed. How do I go about replenishing it without covering all my LR, and corals

I agree and have employed the PVC way also. It will also help to keep down the dust storm.

Theres a vid on youtube of a guy using a popbottle looks like a nice system; let me find the link and ill post again

If I may ask a question here also,....if you are adding additional sand to an already established tank,.I assume that the new sand ,either dry or live is sorta " inert" and would not cause any sort of a spike in your system??

There used to be a product on the market called chemi-clean. It does wonders on red slime. You can also try a phosphate removing pad.

Thank you;) I'm not sure about causing a spike if I do add more, was planning on using " live sand" any opinions or advise? Should I just leave as is. I did end up removing quite a bit...

You can also scoop rinsed sand into a ziploc bag, squeeze the air out, and zip up the bag. Then submerse the bag, zipper side down, and open it up over the spot you want to dump. I just did this myself a few days ago. You still end up with a bit of a dust storm, but it dissipates after a couple hours.

As long as you're not reusing old sand, you won't encounter any ammonia spikes.

your welcome, and pass it along if it works for you, I think it's quite an awesome way to add sand and hopefully it will work for many others, very happy it was shown to me!

kurtyboh said:
your welcome, and pass it along if it works for you, I think it's quite an awesome way to add sand and hopefully it will work for many others, very happy it was shown to me!

Worked greaT!! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom