Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

requirements for Fish and hardy invertebrates tank

im looking into converting my 30 gallon into a fish and hardy invertebrates tank i was wondering what you guys think i would need to have to do this how much live rock do you think would be sufficient would an eheim 2213 be enough filtration how much lighting do you think id need i was thinking of getting a single strip jbj with 96 watts im hoping to keep some a coral beauty a flame angel a clown and some others so since im getting the clown i would like to get some kind of hardy anemone and some other hardy corals that could live with about 3 watts per gallon if n e one has n e suggestions on the basics id need to do this or some examples of fish or corals i could keep in my 30 n e help would be appreciated

Old 03-08-2004, 01:30 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Re: requirements for Fish and hardy invertebrates tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by philc21
im looking into converting my 30 gallon into a fish and hardy invertebrates tank i was wondering what you guys think i would need to have to do this how much live rock do you think would be sufficient
I'd say a minimum of 45lbs with 60lbs being better.
Quote:
would an eheim 2213 be enough filtration
If you have at least 45lbs of LR in the tank, you won't need the Eheim. It will only produce nitrates. The LR will handle the biological filtration. You could use the canister filter for flow and to occasionally run GAC though.

Quote:
how much lighting do you think id need i was thinking of getting a single strip jbj with 96 watts
You could get by with one 96 watt, but two would be much better. With one, you'll be very limited as to what you can keep in the tank.

Quote:
im hoping to keep some a coral beauty a flame angel a clown and some others
Mixing dwarf angels is usually a bad idea...they tend to kill each other. A 30 isn't really large enough for two of them. Also, IMO, 2-3 fish this size will be about all the 30 will support.

Quote:
so since im getting the clown i would like to get some kind of hardy anemone and some other hardy corals that could live with about 3 watts per gallon
There isn't a hardy anemone. There are the ones that die easily and the ones that always die. Well...maybe it's not that bad, but they are very dificult to keep. None of them will be able to survive in a new tank with low lighting levels though. Clownfish will do just fine without an anemone...it's a myth that they need them. If you intend to have more than one clown, I would recommend the ocellaris clown...most of the others tend not to get along with each other unless you have a mated pair.

Quote:
if n e one has n e suggestions on the basics id need to do this or some examples of fish or corals i could keep in my 30 n e help would be appreciated
First suggestion...buy a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. That will get you off to a good start understanding marine aquariums. Of course, we don't mind answering your questions, but it'll be lots easier on you to read this book first. If you go with a 2x96 system, you could keep most of the soft corals...colts, leathers, zoanthids, mushrooms, ect... You could keep some of the LPS corals, but due to their aggressive nature, I wouldn't put many in a 30 gal tank. Not that you can't...JMHO. In order to have a successful tank, I'd keep the bioload low. Stick with small fish. Maybe a trio of green chromis, an ocellaris clown, and a small goby of some sort...but not all at once. You'll also want to look into getting a protein skimmer. I'd recommend an Aqua C Remora with a MJ1200 pump for a tank this size.

Tags
hardy, invertebrates, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com