Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I just redid my T-5 setup from a metal unit to a DIY t-5 VHO. The great thing is that I could mount the ballast remotely which took most of the heat away from the canopy and I left the top open. The old setup was 216 watts and the t-5 VHO setup is 330 watts. Overall temp of the tank went down.

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by Don7 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Yup no test kit what so ever. There are a lot of things that I didn't do right that's the reason I want to start again the right way. I would test my nitrates/nitrites at the LFS tho. I wouldn't do water changes that often either. Maybe once every other month. I know, I know... I have learned a lot from here tho.

Even tho I did pretty much every thing wrong i was able to maintain a some what nice tank but fish/coral wouldn't last more than 6 months. Here's a picture of it from like 4 years ago...

I have been wanting to upgrade to get T5's but don't really know where to start. I've heard that they get real hot and may break the tank. I currently have a canopy and the lights sit like 8 inches from the acrylic top. I'll take a picture of the set up and hopefully you guys and give me some input.

Thanks again every one!

As the others have stated, T5HO's don't give off very much heat at all. They are great lights and will give you alot of flexibility in the species you can keep. Plus replacement bulbs for them are actually pretty affordable.

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks every one. Then mostly likely I will be getting the T5's. I started reading up on them. How many fixtures should I get? Is there a preferred brand or are they all the same?

Don7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com