Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Result of build up of metals in tank??

Ok now put this in laymans terms for me.

For the people to don't use a RO or RO/DI unit to filter their tank water, what happens to their tank & fish over time as a result of not filtering out those hard metals from their water?

-::- ((.*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
what happens to their tank & fish over time as a result of not filtering out those hard metals from their water?
Well, you ask some pretty tough questions. IMO, not much. Reg water changes will slow accumulation, use of GAC will reduce quite a bit of it, and use of a protien skimmer will reduce even more. There is some speculation that metal and trace element build up is resposible for "Old Tank Syndrome" this is typically found in tanks that use a DSB. If this is for a FO tank, I wouldn't sweat it, the main reason most use RO/DI is because the metals and other minerals tend to be algae accelerators. I have run many a FO tank for years using dechlorinated tap water, I do believe though that the use of RO or RO/DI water is a better option and will help you maintain a cleaner, healthier tank. I use RO water purchased from the machines in Walmart for .25 per gallon, I spot check it for phosphate and nitrate on a regular basis and haven't had a problem. Of course a RO filter is a better choice in the long run, I just don't want to go to the expense right now.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:11 PM   #3

I also use the Machine outside of my local grocery store. I use de-chlor tap in quick top offs and I do not have any detectable nuisance algae...I cannot justify purchasing a RO/DI right now...If I owned my own home maybe, but, needs come first...
Old 04-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies. Tough questions huh reefrunner, I just trying to learn more indepth on things that's all.
-::- ((.*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:21 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I suppose it also depends on your overall quality of water in your area. Places with naturaly hard water would benfit more from a RO unit.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:28 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Tough questions huh reefrunner, I just trying to learn more indepth on things that's all.
Don't sweat it, it's the tough questions that make us think and learn.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, build up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com