Return line question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefpete

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'm using eshopps 300 overflow and it's 1 inch PVC off it to the sump .......

Question should I use 1 inch off return pump to tank or can I use smaller like 3/4 inch would it make a difference

Asking because I rather have a smaller pipe in tank

My overflow is one inch pipe and return is half inch . No issues either . The flow might be different from the return pump but that should be the only difference .

Awesome thanks everyone for quick response on my way now to homedepot I made the 1 inch return but it's just too big gonna go smaller

3/4 inch will have a higher pressure at the nozzle, than a 1" or 1 1/2. Depends on amount of flow you need to get out of the return. And 3/4 inch will create more pressure on all your fittings, because of all the

Darn phone!! I've always gone by the bigger is better creed. Go as big as you can.

Drill the whole on the output right underneath the water level . If your power goes out the water will syphon back into your sump and possiblly overflow it. The hole will break the syphon and it will stop flowing . I don't have one I just keep my output close to the top and make sure the sump has enough room to take the water until the nozzle hits air.

Siphon hole should be under the water line, pointed downward or sideways. In the event of a shutdown, as water siphons into your sump through your returns, this hole will break the siphon and stop loading your sump. This will keep your skimmer from being overactive, and possibly draining your sump onto the floor if you have an external collection cup.

Flreefer said:
Darn phone!! I've always gone by the bigger is better creed. Go as big as you can.

Loll ok good to know im Going to drop it to 3/4 and I will have ball valves on input and output to adjust as needed

Hondatek said:
Drill the whole on the output right underneath the water level . If your power goes out the water will syphon back into your sump and possiblly overflow it. The hole will break the syphon and it will stop flowing . I don't have one I just keep my output close to the top and make sure the sump has enough room to take the water until the nozzle hits air.

Okie perfect I will do that and I'm sure my sump will hve enough room or at least I hope so lol

Do the hope just over the hight of the overflow so that way when your evaporation happens your return pipe wont come over the water surface. Well thats what i do on my tanks.

Marine4life said:
Do the hope just over the hight of the overflow so that way when your evaporation happens your return pipe wont come over the water surface. Well thats what i do on my tanks.

Gotcha okie that makes sense

Back
Top Bottom