Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2003, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

return of the high phosphate levels

just tested po4 very high between 2.50-5.0, last time it was that high I used po4 sponge & got some dust in my tank really did a number on my leathers.I was reading in my test kit to help control po4 try putting plant in my tank.plants use phosphate to live I guess.anyone ever herd of this? if so what kind of plants?how many ?and I guess Ill have to hospital tank my tangs.And it suggested 20% water change ,nh3/nh4 @0 calcium is 390 .nh2 slight ph 8.3 alk looks in ok range, hard to read dip sticks colors are so close 8O

Old 03-29-2003, 05:29 PM   #2

Quote:
I guess Ill have to hospital tank my tangs.
Why? are they sick? I have never read that they were prone to suffer from phosphates. I don't even test for them because I see no nuisance algae...Hmmm

Well now...I will have to look into that one...
Old 03-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Calupra is the only marine plant I know of, which is macro algae, I think a 20% water change will always get rid of some bad, but I dont know if it really is.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
It shounds like we not only have to get your phosphate levels lower but also come to the ROOT of the problem.

Do you use RO water? If not have you tested your water change water for phosphates? Have you tested your new saltwater for phosphates?

Do you feed frozen foods specificly frozen brine shrimp? If so do you rinse the brine shrimp before adding it to your tank?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 08:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanx for the feed back first nothing looks sick had some whispy grayish brown look'in alge last time I had that I tested for po4 it was high , but got it down ,bought some tangs to take care of alge,then I started to notice alge was coming back.I ll most likely Ditch the plant idea & keep the tangs.And yes I use a ro/di .&use ro/di w/kalkwasser,yes I feed brine & other frozens but don't mix w/ tap water.finally I will test some new salt water ,just so I can rule it out.thanx
Old 03-29-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

What test kit are you using? What kind of LR do you have? What are you using for substrate?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 04:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use dip sticks ,sea test for cal.,hagen for po4 ,only 2 pieces of LR 7-9 lbs,was in copper @ one time ,does'nt look dead.Im sorry I dont know what you mean for substrate?
Old 03-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
substrate would be what is in the bottom of the tank.

Crushed coral? Sand? Nothing? or something else?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 12:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh' ok I have crushed coral on the left live sand on the right.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

starting to close in on phosphate problem

while starting to do water change ,I tested plain ro/di water for po4 no trace.then i tested freshly mixed salt water before adding to tank.guess what,my test vile turned light blue ,showing traces of phosphate.so I'v been adding phosphate every time i'v done a water change. .Now I have got to find a phosphate free salt.I'v been useing sea crystals .It cost more but it has" trace elements" that are good for reef

Tags
high ph, level, phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com