return of the high phosphate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwtowmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
just tested po4 very high between 2.50-5.0, last time it was that high I used po4 sponge & got some dust in my tank really did a number on my leathers.I was reading in my test kit to help control po4 try putting plant in my tank.plants use phosphate to live I guess.anyone ever herd of this? if so what kind of plants?how many ?and I guess Ill have to hospital tank my tangs.And it suggested 20% water change ,nh3/nh4 @0 calcium is 390 .nh2 slight ph 8.3 alk looks in ok range, hard to read dip sticks colors are so close 8O

I guess Ill have to hospital tank my tangs.

Why? are they sick? I have never read that they were prone to suffer from phosphates. I don't even test for them because I see no nuisance algae...Hmmm

Well now...I will have to look into that one...

Calupra is the only marine plant I know of, which is macro algae, I think a 20% water change will always get rid of some bad, but I dont know if it really is.

It shounds like we not only have to get your phosphate levels lower but also come to the ROOT of the problem.

Do you use RO water? If not have you tested your water change water for phosphates? Have you tested your new saltwater for phosphates?

Do you feed frozen foods specificly frozen brine shrimp? If so do you rinse the brine shrimp before adding it to your tank?

thanx for the feed back first nothing looks sick had some whispy grayish brown look'in alge last time I had that I tested for po4 it was high , but got it down ,bought some tangs to take care of alge,then I started to notice alge was coming back.I ll most likely Ditch the plant idea & keep the tangs.And yes I use a ro/di .&use ro/di w/kalkwasser,yes I feed brine & other frozens but don't mix w/ tap water.finally I will test some new salt water ,just so I can rule it out.thanx

I use dip sticks ,sea test for cal.,hagen for po4 ,only 2 pieces of LR 7-9 lbs,was in copper @ one time ,does'nt look dead.Im sorry I dont know what you mean for substrate?

substrate would be what is in the bottom of the tank.

Crushed coral? Sand? Nothing? or something else?

starting to close in on phosphate problem

while starting to do water change ,I tested plain ro/di water for po4 no trace.then i tested freshly mixed salt water before adding to tank.guess what,my test vile turned light blue ,showing traces of phosphate.so I'v been adding phosphate every time i'v done a water change. :x .Now I have got to find a phosphate free salt.I'v been useing sea crystals .It cost more but it has" trace elements" that are good for reef :lach:

while starting to do water change ,I tested plain ro/di water for po4 no trace.then i tested freshly mixed salt water before adding to tank.guess what,my test vile turned light blue

What test kit are you using? Most kits will not test both fresh and saltwater. It is possible that the phosphates are coming from the water (although unlikely if it's RO/DI). What brand salt are you using?

Im using a hagen po4 test kit for salt and fresh .and for salt Im using aquarium system's reef crystals .I think most salts like instant ocean ,deep ocean, kent are all phosphate ,nitrate& silicate free.and they say it on the bucket .now that I read the reef crystals bucket it only says extra calcium extra trace elements& extra vitamins.nothing about being phosphate free.live & learn

Reef Crystals is made by the Makers of Instant Ocean. It is Aquarium Systems premium Salt, I have used it before and never noticed a trace of PO4, it is possible you gopt a bad bag. The number for Aquarium Systems is on the bag, I would call and talk to them and find out whether their Reef Crystals is supposed to be PO4 free, and then take it from there.

I called them left voice mail they haven't called yet .I buy it buy the bucket ,so I'v been reading the buckets & reef crystals are the only one that doesn't say phosphate free.I stared to buy it because it was supposed to be better then instant ocean.I wouldn't have even checked until fish freek told me to start eliminating possible sorces of po4 .If you have some reef cystals test it for ha ha's, that if you have po4 test.

If you have some reef cystals test it for ha ha's, that if you have po4 test.

I've used it before, I use IO now, I decided along time ago, you don't gain enough using it to make up for the difference in cost. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom