Return pump question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, here's the deal..This guy I know decided to do away with a few of his tanks...He gave me an Overflow (U-tube type)..So I'm thinking of setting up another tank with sump... This would only be a 55gal tank..I was wondering what size pump you'd recommend? Also I can get a Pondmaster pump..seems just like a mag to me... Its a 5 and pumps 500gph..Was wondering if that would work or not and if its good enough.. TIA.... Oh BTW the pump I can get brand new for like $25 but I have to act fast if its worth it..

It will work but you could get a bigger one if your overflow will support it. I run a mag7 on my 75 but my overflow is only rated at 650gph so that is as big as I can run. I have 3 ph's in the tank though.

The Overflow has the 1inch diameter on it and from what I see that usually means around 600gph...Is the 500gph not gonna be enough?

I think it will be ok. Depending on head height, you might be able to use a mag7. I used a mag5 on my 29 :)

I have always felt my mag7 on my 75 was too small. Seems like most people use giant pumps. With a few power heads, you will be fine. I have a mag5 in a 72 right now. Only pump I had so I used it :)

Back
Top Bottom