Return pump too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm almost finished setting up my 55 gallon FOWLR and 20 gallon sump. Now I recently heard about horror stories where the return pump was too much for the overflow box, thus causing flood of the main tank. I've bought my equipment piece by piece and wanted to know, is my return pump too much for my overflow box? I spoke with the people at my lfs, and they highly recommended I get the Eshopps PF-300 overflow box and an Aqua Top 607 GPH return pump. Now my first instinct and question was, "shouldn't the numbers match to avoid a flood, or lack of balance?" They assured me that they were the correct match. So I purchased them. Just wanted to hear your opinions and feedback before I setup the whole thing. Please tell me if I'm making a fatal mistake. Before I get criticism for buying the Eshopps ofb, just know that it was the best I could afford, and wasn't willing to spend the $250 for a highly rated ofb. Thank you

I think you should be fine or pretty darn close. I would install a ball valve in the return line so that if it is too much you can just throttle it back a bit, I have ball valves on all my tanks and have not had to use them but they are nice to have just in case.
For the record, the reason why you get a larger gph return pump is that it loses some of its pressure depending on how far it has to push the water and any angles will also reduce the flow as well. :)

I have a eshopp box works great no problems and air bubbles push right thru. When properly match you won't have any air in the siphon tube and no way for siphon to break. Sounds like your good!

Back
Top Bottom