Reverse Osmosis Systems???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
What makes one Reverse Osmosis System better than another? From searching these threads, many seem pleased with the systems sold on Ebay.

How do the Ebay units compare to this one sold at Costco? http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product.asp&catid=89&subid=267&hierid=497&prdid=10034720&log=
It claims ZERO water waste, but does not give info on how many gallons per day or how many stages.

And lastly... what is the tank that is usually pictured next the to the system? Is it the DI section or a storage tank?

Thanks

[/url]

In all honesty, most RO units are pretty much the same. They all utalize the same filter membranes. The difference comes in how many stages they have. The more stages, the higher the water quality. Some RO units also use a DI end stage. This will produce water that is about 99.98% pure. About the best you can get. The DI is useful at removing stubborn metals and more nitrates from the source water.

I should add that some of the units being sold on Ebay have stages that aren't really needed. If you find a 6 stage unit for example, and three of the stages are inline carbon filters, it may not be such a good deal. What you basically need on an RO/DI unit is a sediment filter, a carbon block filter, an RO membrane, and a DI filter...the rest of it isn't really needed. Some units may offer dual DI which is fine...it gives you a longer interval between changes. If you're on well water like me, you might want to consider dual sediment filters...I run a 5 micron and a 1 micron to filter out all that nice GA red mud.
Here are a few things I would look for in RO units. Clear canisters so you can visually inspect the filters without pulling them out. Aluminum bracket especially if the unit is going to be near where the SW is mixed. Pressure gauge...this will tell you when the sediment filters are clogging. An easy method for backflushing the RO membrane...this will extend its life a good deal. Full size 10" filter housings instead of the smaller inline filters. Options such as inline TDS meters to monitor the quality of the output are nice too. JMHO.

Thanks all. The one sold on captivereefs.com looks nice, but is it worth twice the $ compared to the ones on Ebay?

IMO, the Aqua FX units are the best quality unit available. Are they worth twice the $$...I don't know. It depends on whether you want the options that are available on them as opposed to the more basic units. One thing they do have going for them is excellent customer service which is worth a lot.

You backflush the membrane by removing the restriction from the waste line which allows water to wash over the outside of the membrane removing buildup on the surface of the membrane. This will make the membrane last longer.

Thanks, I guess I just need to do a bit more research before I feel comfortable spending 2x the money for the Captivereef's system.

How does everyone have their system hooked up? I've never used a RO/DI system so I have no idea how one works. I also don't have a sink or faucet where I can permanently mount the system and dedicate it to a RO/DI only sink. Would it be difficult to hook up each time for use?

Thanks

I have a three way RO which I hook up every time by hanging it on the side of my water butt. Tap water is then fed to my RO using a garden hose via a hose connector. It is pretty painless for me and I have been doing this for over a year now.

I have a "mop sink" in the laundry room that mine is hooked to. I used a piercing valve to connect it to the cold water side of the supply line going to the faucet. The RO unit and 55 gal container sits in a closet. You can get several different kinds of connectors and you don't have to use the faucet. I recently installed a unit for a lady and tapped into her supply line for the washing machine using a 3 way valve from Home Depot and the garden hose connector from Aqua FX. This is working out quite well so far. You can even install it under your kitchen sink. One thing I would recommend is to install the connector on the supply side of a pre-existing valve so you can cut it off if there is ever a leak.

Thanks all.

Is the waste water produced by making RO/DI water useable? 3 gallons per 1 gallon RO water seems like a lot of waste.

The RO membrane filters at a molecular level. Most contaminants are larger than H20 and will not go through the membrane. This is called rejection. Only the pure water is allowed to get through the membrane...the rest is rejected and goes out the waste line. The efficiency of the RO membrane is heavily dependent on the temperature and pressure of the supply water. If I remember correctly, the optimum operating parameters are about 70*F and 80-100psi. Colder water at lower pressure will result in a higher percentage of waste water. Needless to say, a lot of water goes out the waste line with the rejected matter. HTH.

Is it possible to collect the water from the waste line and use it for watering plants and stuff like that?

My wife uses the waste for watering her garden and so far she has not seen any damages to her plants.

I know some people plumb it so that their waste water fills the washing machine. I'd probably use it to wash the car.

Back
Top Bottom