Ribbon eel tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhabuda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have a 80 gallon bow front tank, not drilled for a sump. i am putting 2 blue ribbon eels in it. ive done my homework on their behaviour and feeding habits. i need help in figuring out what what equipment i should get. i am going with a bh1000 hob reef octopus skimmer. i may even get another one down the road. what kind of sand should i be getting. it needs to be soft so they dont scratch up their bodies. i am also installing a 2" pvc tubing under the sand for them to hide in. what kind of filter should i be getting. i'm looking at canister filters, just dont know which. and powerheads. i have no idea which i should be getting. i dont know how fast the current should be in the tank. should i be getting a uv sterilizer to keep algae down.? all the help i get would be great. thanks in advance.

Me personally, I wouldn't get a UV sterilizer or canister filter in this case. As with any fish (or eel) it's more important to remove food/detritus from the water column as opposed to allowing it to breakdown in the chambers of a cansiter filter and degrade water quality. A decent protein skimmer is a must IMHO and dedication to getting them to accept foods.

Good luck. They are tough to acclimate to aquarium life. I've never had one, but I've read far more cases of failure then success. Not to say it can't be done, but "challenging" is an understatement for these guys.

Live rock and a good protein skimmer over rated for the tank would be my choice. I'd also throw in a power head for added circulation in the tank.

I just looked up a picture of these and they are amazing. I want to do a snowflake eel tank and I think after I get some experience with them I may have to try one of these. They are stunning, I can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

I just looked up a picture of these and they are amazing. I want to do a snowflake eel tank and I think after I get some experience with them I may have to try one of these. They are stunning, I can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

Well ill llet you know and take some pics once its up and running

Back
Top Bottom