Riccordia splitting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a green/peach riccordia that is splitting and is twice the size of the piece of rock that it is attached to. Is there any way to remove it from the rock it's on and place it on a more suitable rock or will it move to a new location on its own when it's too big. Should I just epoxy the small rock to a bigger one?

Also, I have an orange riccordia with three mouths, two of them right next to eachother. It looks like it's going to divide, but where its dividing is in the middle. Leaving one side with one mouth and the other with two. Will it be splitting again between the two, or do some single polyps just have two mouths. It's pretty cool looking. I will attach pic soon.

got bait? said:
I have a green/peach riccordia that is splitting and is twice the size of the piece of rock that it is attached to. Is there any way to remove it from the rock it's on and place it on a more suitable rock or will it move to a new location on its own when it's too big. Should I just epoxy the small rock to a bigger one?
If you want to frag the ricordia, it is much like propagating simple discosoma. >>Garf.org<< has a great step-bystep. You can easily epoxy or superglue the smaller rock to a larger one for added surface area for them to colonize.

Also, I have an orange riccordia with three mouths, two of them right next to eachother. It looks like it's going to divide, but where its dividing is in the middle. Leaving one side with one mouth and the other with two. Will it be splitting again between the two, or do some single polyps just have two mouths. It's pretty cool looking. I will attach pic soon.
All things in good time but if the parent has multiple mouths, it will split soon enough. It does expend a decent amount of their energies when they do this so I would not expect the third to split too soon after the original. A pic would definately be great (y)

Cheers
Steve

pic

Here is a small pic. Not the quality of your (reefrunner) pics, but give me time.

Wow 8O , I love the colors on the little one. Looks great! Will be nice to see a few of those around the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom