Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good news. Just saved $45 on my LEDs. We hit the 20 unit mark on our group buy which drops the price to $235. These are being used by a bunch of reefers in Atlanta and all are giving great reviews. If you want in we can work something out.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #32
Fish R friends, not food!

I thought you were gonna say you saved 15% by switching to Geico!.....LOL!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I thought you were gonna say you saved 15% by switching to Geico!.....LOL!
LOL No, State Farm all the way!!!! LOL
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Today is when the work will really begin in earnest. I have to have my wife to the airport by Noon and she won’t return until next Sunday. That gives me one full week to get this thing up and running. Keep in mind, my current 45 sits on top of the entertainment center with the sump behind it. This is the location the 125 is going in. Going to be tricky. Here is the plan.

On the way home from the airport I am picking up a 100 gallon stock tank and several jugs from a friend. I have about 20 gallons of water mixed that I will immediately put in the stock tank, then transfer the 20 gallons of RO/DI to the mixing container and start another batch while making more RO/DI. Over the next couple of days I will “Rinse and Repeat” until I have enough water.

In addition to mixing water, this afternoon I have 55 lbs of dry sand I need to rinse. Weather permitting, tomorrow I will set the tank up in the driveway so I can start the final plumbing, fill it with tap from the hose and test everything thoroughly.

At some point during the week, I will start to transfer fish, corals and rock to the stock tank. I will also go by and pick up the rock that another friend is giving me to supplement what was in my 45. As soon as I can get the 45 empty, I will get some neighbors to give me a hand, move the 45 and entertainment system out of the way, set the 125 in place and start filling.

My biggest concern at this point is lighting. I have 3 dimmable LED fixtures due in sometime this coming week but I don’t know when I will receive them. Before I can set the canopy on the 125 I am going to have to get these mounted, and wire in the DIY dimmer that still needs to be assembled. While I don’t want to go this route, my backup plan is to leave my current fixture suspended from the ceiling which will give the 125 some light. The drawback is taking it down once I am ready to put the canopy with LEDs on. It is pretty heavy and awkward not to mention I will have to patch holes in the ceiling once it is removed.

I will try to document with pictures as best I can and post them here as this comes together (or falls apart as the case may be).

Thanks for following.
Rich
Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Going to be a interesting week!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am really looking forward to this!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Talk about a deadline!! This should be fun!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the final product.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks everyone. Even with the late start, I am making a bit of progress.

I could be wrong but something tells me it is a good thing she is gone for the next week. I don’t think she would be overly “tickled” with me.

55 pounds of sand washed and ready to go, 25 gallons of water mixing and the RO/DI unit running wide open. We are off to a good start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	90310   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	90311  

Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, I would have been killed. You definitely picked an good time to do it!

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, ich, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com