Rich's 125 Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look who came to dinner!!!

Added a solarinsis wrasse a little over a week ago and almost immediately my 6 line started going after him. I was a bit shocked because up until now my 6 line never bothered anyone. The solarinsis started hiding almost the first day. I then put a picture of a solarinsis on the end of the tank and the 6 line freaked. A few minutes later the solarinsis was out and I thought the ordeal was over. 5 minutes later the 6 line was back at it and the solarinsis disappeared. I figured he died somewhere in the rock work.

Because I feared this was just the star of trouble from the six line I found a club member who wanted one and offered it to her assuming I could catch him. Another club member loaned me a trap and within a couple days I had him. Today, I took him to the LFS where I was to meet the lady taking him but had to leave before she arrived. The LFS agreed to keep him for her or, is she was a no show, they would sell the fish and keep the money for there trobles.

Now, I come home thinking I am down two fish. Since I was going to wait a while to replace the solarinisis I decided to take the picture off the tank and then fed them. While wiping up the water that dripped off my arm guess who shows up. J While he is still hiding a lot, he is still alive. Needless to say, I am very happy.

rdnelson99 said:
Added a solarinsis wrasse a little over a week ago and almost immediately my 6 line started going after him. I was a bit shocked because up until now my 6 line never bothered anyone. The solarinsis started hiding almost the first day. I then put a picture of a solarinsis on the end of the tank and the 6 line freaked. A few minutes later the solarinsis was out and I thought the ordeal was over. 5 minutes later the 6 line was back at it and the solarinsis disappeared. I figured he died somewhere in the rock work.

Because I feared this was just the star of trouble from the six line I found a club member who wanted one and offered it to her assuming I could catch him. Another club member loaned me a trap and within a couple days I had him. Today, I took him to the LFS where I was to meet the lady taking him but had to leave before she arrived. The LFS agreed to keep him for her or, is she was a no show, they would sell the fish and keep the money for there trobles.

Now, I come home thinking I am down two fish. Since I was going to wait a while to replace the solarinisis I decided to take the picture off the tank and then fed them. While wiping up the water that dripped off my arm guess who shows up. J While he is still hiding a lot, he is still alive. Needless to say, I am very happy.

That's fantastic! :) My McCosker's has been playing the hiding game too.

Last edited:
Little update. The wrasse has been hiding a lot and my female clown chases him just a bit when he does come out. But, starting yesterday, he is coming out more and more and doesn't seem to be bothered by the clowns so I think all will be well soon.

I am slowly raising the intensity on my new LED fixtures. Whites are at about 30% and the blues at about 25% and everything seems to be reacting well. The colors on the corals really pop especially with just the blues. Love these fixtures.

Put my next two fish on hold today. They are in QT at my fav LFS and will go straight to the bag from the QT tank. :). I am getting a redhead wrasse and a seagrass wrasse. If you look them up on line they look nothing like they look in person. Very cool fish.

OK so I lied. Those are not going to be my next two fish. LOL I am still getting them but I saw a post on the local reef club forum and tonight I am picking up a Powder Brown Tang ($45) and a Lawnmower Blennie ($15). :) Can't beat that with a stick.

Congrats on your new fish! Pictures are required as always! ;)

Are you sure you are getting a true Powder Brown? If so make sure it is eating first. The White-Cheek Tang is easier to feed. If you need help distinguishing them, the White-Cheek has a larger white area on it's cheek, and the Powder Brown has a smaller white area (from what I have seen).

Thanks for the advice. :) As for pics, you will have to wait until I get them. LOL Both fish are from an established tank. He has had them for a couple of years but his tank started leaking so he had to tear it down quick. They are in stock containers at the moment but he is afraid they won't do well until he can get the larger tank he is planning on going with.

Okay, I was doubting myself so I saw pictures of the two on liveaquaria.com. If they are correct, I belive I messed up the descriptions of how they look. I think it is the other way around.
I would look both up just to be sure. Sorry. :)

I bet I am really confusing you now. LOL. I just checked my book the conscientious marine aquarist by Robert Fenner. In it, it has a picture of the Powder Brown (Acanthurus nigricans) and a picture of the White Faced Tang (Acanthurus japonicus). According to this picture, the white area on the cheek is larger on Acanthurus japonicus.

You might want to see what other places say too.

Sorry if I confused you. By the way, in my first post, I was thinking of this book, so I should have referred the white-cheek tang as the white-faced (since that is what he calls it in the book).

EDIT: I see what liveaquaria did. They have the powder brown as japonicus, where as my book has it as nigricans.

EFIT TWO: I would just ignore everything I said today about the Tangs, LOL.

Last edited:
Hey Rich, just a little input.
The Powder tangs don't have such a great track record in home aquaria, from what I read.
Just thought you should know, if you didn't!

Hey Rich, just a little input.
The Powder tangs don't have such a great track record in home aquaria, from what I read.
Just thought you should know, if you didn't!

Thanks for the input. Since he has been in an established tank for 2 years now I think he has a better chance of survival than if I bought one from a LFS. A good friend of mine on our local forum (works for a good LFS and is extremely knowledgeable) has walked me through this one and helped me decide. We will see how he does. If he shows signs of not doing well I will re-home him quick.

rdnelson99 said:
Thanks for the input. Since he has been in an established tank for 2 years now I think he has a better chance of survival than if I bought one from a LFS. A good friend of mine on our local forum (works for a good LFS and is extremely knowledgeable) has walked me through this one and helped me decide. We will see how he does. If he shows signs of not doing well I will re-home him quick.

You are braver than me. Lol.

Cool, just wanted you to know, if you didn't!
I agree, if he's already happy, you've got a much better chance.
Good luck with them. :)

I love my little old man. I mean lawn mower blenny. It's so funny to see the little lip marks on the glass where he has cleaned

Back
Top Bottom