Rich's 125 Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rdnelson99 said:
Sweet. :) Since you posted them in my build thread you now have to send them to me to put in my tank. It is only fair!!!!! hehehehe

Lol. Nice try. A for effort. Lol

A couple months ago our RBTA split. Didn't see it while it was happening because the foot was behind a rock. Now in the new tank he is front and center and tonight I see he is about to split again. At this rate, my aquarium will pay for itself and I can retire just off of the nems I sell. hehehehe If you look at the foot you will see one portion attached to the upper rock and the other attached to the lower rock. There is a definite rip starting between them.

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 112
Very cool! I'm just now contemplating a bubble tip nem, I hope I have the same luck with mine! lol

carey said:
Very cool! I'm just now contemplating a bubble tip nem, I hope I have the same luck with mine! lol

Mine has split twice in the last year. I'm pretty sure yours will be the same. Lol

Go for it Carey. They are a piece of cake for someone like you to take care of. Used to feed mine silver sides but they just didn't take it that often. I now just give them a squirt of the frozen food when I feed the tank and they seem to love it.

Mine has split twice in the last year. I'm pretty sure yours will be the same. Lol

I was sure but over the last couple of days I don't see any progress so I could be wrong. It might be that the "Grove" between feet (if that is what it is) has gotten a bit bigger but not much if any.

Yesterday started out great but didn't end too well for me. A friend from the Local Reef club works in a high end woodworking shop. Yesterday morning we went over and made all the crown molding for my family room. Just had to pay the cost of materials. Got high quality crown for $.80/ft as opposed to the cheapest garbage HD has for $1.39/ft. On top of that, I got to play with some really cool woodworking equipment. :) From there we went to his house and I checked out his 210. Gorgeous tank and the stand he built for it is incredible. He wouldn't let me live without loading me up with 4 very nice frags and a plate coral. :)

But the day turned when I got home and while aclimating the corals found the clean up crew feasting on my Kole. :-( He was one of the first fish I put in my original 45 gal 10 months ago. All my water tests were fine and I even brought a sample to my fav LFS and all looked good. Hate it when that happens.

Sorry you lost your Kole Rich.. If all is well parameter wise, why not just replace him, tank mates will never know!! :)
Best of luck in the future

Thanks Flreefer. Been a rough couple of days. Didn't have time to post here until now so I will bring you up to date. Over a 38 hour period we lost 4 fish. :-( We lost the Kole, our male clown, one of our firefish and the Solarinsis Wrasse. Spent a good 45 minutes on the phone with a reef club member who works at a LFS and is so helpful to everyone. I had tried everything to identify the cause even down to trying to trace stray current. Just happened that while on the phone I saw our fire shrimp clean the powder brown for about 5 seconds. That is the first time the shrimp has ever cleaned a fish.

Immediately my friend started to suspect an external parasite. Later in the evening I noticed the Solarinsis was covered in white dust. My closes experts all agree that it could be ick but the fact it looks more like talcum powder than salt leads them to suspect something else. At any rate, my best LFS opened her store for me (Even though they are closed on Monday) and hooked me up with some Metro, Focus, Garlic Guard and Zoecon. I had three successful feedings today and all remaining fish are looking good at the moment. The powder brown tang is moving around more leisurely than normal but not lethargic. No visable signs of parasites at this time.

While I know I am not out of the woods yet, I think we have a good plan of attack and I have the tools to combat this.

Lastly, I have no one to blame but myself. Yup, I am one of those who kept saying "I need to set up a QT" but never did it. That will change before any new fish enter my tank. I could kick myself. BUT, I am not going to let it stop me. I will swallow the medicine, learn from it and do better going forward.

Wow...that really blows. I feel for you...
What do they think it is? Sounds like Marine velvet, possibly.
I'm also without a quarantine set-up, but after reading this, I won't add any new fish without first getting one set up.
I have only added 1 new fish( Copperband), in about 2 1/2 years, still only have 4, but I have been thinking I need a little more action in the tank. I'm going to at least get the tank so if I find a fish I've got to have, I'm ready. Ive probably got the rest of the equipment laying around.
Hope you don't lose anything else Rich, best of luck figuring it out.

Sorry rich, that really sucks,.... Like I've said before,..just about the time you think you have a handle on things and feeling a little smug then along comes reality and slaps you on the side of the head and let's you know that we really aren't in as much control as we thought we were.,... Hang in there ,.this too will pass,...beer may help.

Sorry rich. I agree that it sounds like velvet. Does it cover the eyes as well? Keep your chin up. This too shall pass.

Dary, I think a cold one or two helps just about everything doesn't it? LOL Jlsardina it is not covering the eyes at all. I will do some research on velvet. I appreciate all the good thoughts guys. It does help. :)

Back
Top Bottom