Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rich's 125 Reef

A couple months back I took a 125 gallon tank, stand and canopy in payment for some electrical work I did for a local reef club member. I would love to move my TV over the fireplace and set this up where the entertainment center currently sits. However, momma has other ideas. LOL I tried to sell it with little interest so I decided to do some upgrades as if I were going to set it up and maybe gain more interested (and a higher price). If, while I am doing all that, momma decides she just can't live without it, it won't break my heart.

The first two pictures are from it's prior home and the third is after I got it home, scraped all the Coraline off the tank walls and scraped the old black paint off the back. The biggest issue with this tank was that it was not drilled and has some scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	83421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	83422  

Name:	Tank Cleaned Up.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	83423  

Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Last week, I drilled it for a "Bean Animal" style overflow, built an overflow box, plumbed it and painted the back of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	83424   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	83425  

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	83426   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	83427  

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yesterday I decided to dress the stand and canopy up a bit by adding some trim. I also started to paint it a stark gloss white to match the fireplace surround in my family room. Just in case Momma wants to set it up after all. I haven't finished the painting yet so I don't have pics of that yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	83428  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice pick up..hope your wife decides she likes it enough to keep...
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Me too!!!! LOL Thanks,
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lookin like a sweet setup..have the same color paint on the back of my 65 and have been happy with it.
Good luck
Kyle
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks very nice! Let us all know how it turns out!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ran a test of my Bean Animal Overflow and the Overflow Box I built. Works like a champ and is dead quiet. The noise you hear in the video is the vibration from the pump in the bucket and a little bubble noise from the bucket. Two disclaimers. First, my driveway is not level so the water does not flow correctly into the overflow box. That would be corrected if the tank were level. Second, the spare pump I am using does not provide as much flow as I would want o the display tank permanently.

Bean Animal Overflow Test - YouTube
Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Saturday after spending several hours finishing up the paint I told my wife I needed someone to help me set the tank on the stand and the canopy on the tank so I could get some good pictures to post in a for sale thread. Her response, "You not going to paint it first?". LOL She said she thought that was primer.

But, today I had some encouraging progress. She asked "If you set that up where the entertainment center is can you add shelves where the TV sat inside the entertainment center? We could put that in the dining room sorta like a china cabinet."

So now, the planning begins. First up, move the receptacle, AV and Satellite cable over the fireplace in preparation to receive the TV. Next, figure out where I am going to put the satellite receiver and surround sound system. Next, run a couple of new electrical circuits over to where the 125 will sit. Good thing I have web trusses between 1st and 2nd floor. May need to cut out a bit of sheet rock but I know from a past project that drywall mud is a perfect color match for the ceilings once dry.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Making some progress. Yesterday I picked up some paint and a paint gun from HD. I have wanted a paint gun to go with my compressor so since I have to paint the stand and canopy again I decided to bite the bullet. Should be shooting them tomorrow and Sunday. Last night I went to help a fellow reefer hook up his RO/DI and came home with the mother load. He is in the middle of changing tanks and had a major problem with the temp holding tanks. Everything was going quick so he gave me what was still alive of his corals. I told him I would give them back when his new tank settled in but he told me to keep them. There is some nice stuff.

I also picked up a Quiet One 6000 return pump. This is rated at 1650 GPH so it should be perfect for my return and also to feed future reactors. It is in great shape. Paid $70 for it. This weekend i will be picking up my new skimmer. It is a Reef Octopus OCT-DNWB150 that I am getting for $150.

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, ich, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com