Ricordea growth rate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a single Ricordea polyp (I think it's a yuma sp.) back in early October. For 5 months I noticed NO new growth on the coral... After setting up the 45 gallon with T5, in the past month, I've seen 2 new polyps arise from the mama polyp.

My question is, how fast do these guys reproduce? I assumed it would be slow, but then literally it seems overnight there was just two more polyps there and they are growing well. If you have any experience, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

It is possible that yours were ready to split and just happened to do so after you switched tanks. It may be totally unrelated to the new tank. However it may be related to the new tank if there is better lighting or other conditions or stress. I believe they will also split rapidly when stressed similar to the way an anemone will as a survival mechanism.

I dont think anyone can give you a set growth rate because the individual shroom and tank conditions are a huge factor, but in general they do spread quickly.

JM made good points. I had a very similar thing happen when I switched from VHO to MH. Rics never did anything for me until I switched to more intense lighting. I think it was more induced by stress than actual health improvement from the lights. They then slowed down for awhile, but a few months ago started multiplying again. I think only time will tell you, though rics generally do like higher light levels.

I know I replied to this, but I guess not.. heh.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I kinda figured something along those lines and that they woulnd't keep growing at that rate, but never hurts to check. :)

beachbumin said:
I wish mine would split!!! They just keep getting bigger and than retract. After I upgraded to HQI/PC/LED they really perked up but still no splitting.

Yeah that's exactly what mine did until just a few weeks ago. It was sorta annoying! Then I upgraded from PC to T5 HO and bam....all the sudden I have 3 polyps instead of 1!

Back
Top Bottom