Ricordea lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most rics are low to med. light id say yours should be ok under that light My rule of thumb is the brighter the coral color the brighter the light needed to support them

thats only a 20 watt light, your really not going to keep much with it. My ricordeas grow like weeds under 2x250 MH high up in the tank.

I understand that, I just want to keep a few soft corals to see if I'm successful.

Then if all goes to plan after a couple of months I will upgrade my light so I can keep more corals.

Ok Greg,

I was thinking of some ricordea, mushrooms, zoanthids. Would all these 3 be fine?

Ok Greg,

I was thinking of some ricordea, mushrooms, zoanthids. Would all these 3 be fine?

Well, ricordea is generally describing many different varieties and colors of mushrooms. I would stick with common red mushrooms first, then maybe some green and blue ones. they mix together well. Some zoas would be okay if they are close enough to the light.

Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge!

What about a neon toadstool? I like those. Would I be able to keep one or not?

Ok that's fine.

Do you know any other corals I could keep with my light?

Some others will chime in, but most soft corals like Xenia and other octocorals need low to medium lighting. So does green star polyps, just be aware these corals can grow like weeds.

I heard that about green star poylps.

Is there a way of keeping them from not growing so fast and taking over? Or do you just let them grow, cut them to sell back to the lfs maybe?

I just let mine grow then frag them it's easy as they grow in a mat much like a carpet You can peel up a large piece the cut it and sell it to your LFS

How do you cut it?

I feel like if I do that I'm going to kill it.

What do you use to cut it?

It grows on a rubbery mat. You can pry it loose with a sharpened screwdriver, but I leave small sacrificial rocks around it to grow on. You might damage a polyp on the edge, but the colony will be fine.

Do I leave the coral in the tank and do it or take it out?

And I will need to buy some more tests kits, am I right in saying that in addition to:

PH, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate.

I will need to get calcium and alkalinity?

And I will need to buy some more tests kits, am I right in saying that in addition to:

PH, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate.

I will need to get calcium and alkalinity?

I test for phosphates and don't worry about ammonia.
Nitrate and I don't worry about nitrite. (although I test both)
Ph and salinity are major ones.
Calcium and alkalinity are necessary if you're going to maintain a reef. Otherwise water changes with a good salt mix and RO/DI water will keep your parameters in check.

Back
Top Bottom