ricordea mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxxmann

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is getting over ran with lots of ricordea mushrooms. They are starting to choke out other corals. Is there any ideas of what I can do?

I can't. They are everywhere and all over all of my rocks. Most of my rocks are the size of a volleyball or bigger. All of my other corals are on the same rocks.

boxxmann said:
I can't. They are everywhere and all over all of my rocks. Most of my rocks are the size of a volleyball or bigger. All of my other corals are on the same rocks.

I have the same problem they sting everything they touch thet look nice but i hate em lol they wont be goin in my next setup

I thought you can slice them off at the base??? All the ric's sold in Florida are not attached to rock.

Rosesrblu1 said:
I thought you can slice them off at the base??? All the ric's sold in Florida are not attached to rock.

You can cut em at the base but itll grow new from the base

You can just take them off the rock. Try blasting it with a power head. It will move, trust me, I thought it was crazy also but it's weird it actually moves. So when it starts to move and you see like the white underneath just pull it gently and your good.

I have to do this twice already and bring some to my LFS. My ricordias multiplied like crazy!!

Now I have 4 together and there over taking a rock area but there is nothing near it so I'll let it go a little while longer.

They can be cut off the rock at their attach point, or use some sacrificial rocks you can remove and sell. I cultivate several types for resale here locally. You can take a polyp and literally cut it up like a pizza and each piece turns into a full polyp. It's remarkable.

First post of its kind actually. I dont think anyone has truly complained about this situation.. though has been some great responses.. i would turn my rock till it wasnt getting much light like stated prior remove when u see the white.

Mine do same thing I just pull the rock out and cut under there base to remove them

They can be used to control the spread of other corals in the tank. I have several varieties of soft coral that would just completely take over except the shrooms keep them corralled. Besides...they are pretty..

Gregcoyote said:
They can be used to control the spread of other corals in the tank. I have several varieties of soft coral that would just completely take over except the shrooms keep them corralled. Besides...they are pretty..

That's actually a pretty good idea, keep the GSP at bay lol.

Back
Top Bottom