Ricordea Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothacraig75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I've had my 180 gal partial fish/reef tank up now for about a month and a half (my first tank...jumped right in!). I'm on my second phase of adding some cleaning crew and with my online order came a free Florida Ricordea (yesterday). This is my first legit addition to my tank other than some "test damsels" which are doing very well. I placed the Ricordea on a nice piece of rock (flat and about 8"x8") about three quarters from the top of the tank due to my halides putting off some major light, with the intention of adding a few more colors. It appears to be comfortable so far where it's at as it hasn't moved and I also noticed it has two mouths, so I'm hoping it will naturally split.

With all that being said, and assuming the Ricordea has found a permanent home (I didn't anchor it)...how far apart should I anchor or place any additional pieces of Ricordea on the same rock to create a nice garden? I have read that they are slow growers but I don't want to impede their potential growth by placing them too close to one another.

Thanks in advance!

You can put them together, an inch away if you want. They will expand under the light during the day, some more then others. They may also shift or even split leaving little babies.

I have a orange ricordia and it decided to creep down the back side of the rock it's on BUT left about 4 little heads on the front rock that are now growing. My green ones are growing into the orange one on the backside. Kinda meshing all together with the yellow one.

Hope that all made sense lol.

In short, they will grow where they want. They will slide or shift when they want. You can give them some room but eventually they will grown into each other and from there it's outta your hands.

I let al mine do there thing.

Thanks for the info!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this little guy is content where he is. Hoping I don't regret not glueing or wrapping him in place. But so far so good over the past 24 hours. I was able to utilize a nice sized round hole in the rock to place him in, acting almost lie a cup. Gonna wait until it appears to be settled in before I GLUE the next one on the same rock.

Thanks again.

Ricordias for me are a very satisfying coral. I too have had them multiply multiple times (like 10!). they will shift and move as necessary.

As far as placement i like to take some rubble and drop it into a large shot glass and then stick the ricordia on top of the rubble. in a few days it will settle and have a good hold on the rubble. then you can glue the rubble to the desired rock. this will give it freedom to move if it a so pleases.

Hope you have the same success

Back
Top Bottom