Ricordea Spreading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Reading a post about gluing Ricordea made me wonder...

Do they spread like regular shrooms do?

Can you frag them like regular shrooms?

I have a few in my tank that i got from reefrunner and they are growing but havent spread, so i was wondering

Borneman says that "asexual reproduction is usually by longitudinal fission of the parent colony, so propagation (although not difficult) is slow".

Clear as mud now? :roll:

One of my 4 split into 2/3 and 1/3 all by itself. The 2/3 started regaining size immediately, the smaller one is still small after 6 weeks. Curious.

-The most successful way to frag a ricordea is to cut/slice the cap off carefully.
-Use some kind of netting to hold the severed cap in place(can take up to 2 weeks or longer to attach)
-OR you can place the cap in a specimen container(must have slits or holes to allow descent water flow) containing rubble rock so it can attach. The stalk will grow back into another ricordea.
-Place the fraged cap and stalk into a medium current location so there is a less chance if infection.

Instead of one, you now will have two rics now. Wohoo!!

I never had much luck with netting (bridal veil). Every time I tried it with shrooms or rics, I ended up with a ball of jelly under the netting.

I use this needle point mesh found at craft stores. It comes in a roll like x-mas paper wrapings.

Are you placing the shrooms or rics in a place with good flow away from other corals?

Here is a pic of the mesh/ netting I use
img_258020_0_f1b23a00a76cc24f0e14f4c80665c28d.jpg

I noticed one of my rics just split on it own. I had a green fuzzy shroom do this as well. Just happened.

I have some mesh I got at kroger and I have had not luck with it. I had a leather frag turn into mush.

The speciman container with holes drilled works. I have been using one for a makeshift frag tank. I had some red shrooms just attach on theie own to some rubble.

Yes the stalk should grow back. Here is a pic of a frag I did. see a good frag and bad frag example.

The bad - didn't get a good cut and mutulated half the ricordea. At least the ricordea is healing back up

The good- Nice beheading.

img_258444_0_9d5bb90c5fcfc6eedad6986eeee91a0f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom