Ricordia Mounting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked up a great orange and yellow ric from a member doing a tank breakdown. It's got 3 mouths and in the process of forming a fourth. Most of the ric is on rubble, but one large end with the biggest mouth is not. It kinda waves in the low flow attached to the rest of the main body. I don't want to hurt it by banding or toothpicking it but I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

Very thin wedding veil type material. The least amount of fabric obstruction, yet enuf to hold it down against a rock until it attaches itself. I never had to do it, and never had to try to locate such material myself, but that would be an option for you.

That's going to be super-tough in the area it is going.....but I might not have another option:-? I would mount it to a single piece of rubble, then mount that to my LR, but ricordias grow so slow it would take forever before it would hide the chunk of rubble.

Because it is so similar to anemones it can and will move around. I have one that has walked a good 2 inches from where it started out. You can glue them down but that stresses them out and they will eventually break free of the glue. My suggesting is to put a few small pieces of rubble in a container and place the ric in the container with the rubble and let it grab onto one of them. Make sure to put the container in a low flow area so it isn't washed out.

This is the method I use when mounting mushrooms.

I always took a piece of thread and gently tied it down to the rock. After a few weeks it was attached.

The will actually grab hold pretty quickly, a matter of minutes when they aren't threatened or being swept away by current.

You gotta be kidding me, put it in a small cup full of rubble, and the blasted thing decided it preferred the cup itself....LOL. Is it safe to just peel it off?

That's funny!

You won't be able to peel it off without killing it, most likely. Try to point a powerhead or something at it. It'll move on its own if it doesn't like the spot it's in.

I agree with Kurt here. You could easily kill it or at the very least damage it pretty badly. Try the power head and if that doesn't work put the cup (with the ric) next to a rock in a shaded area and it will most likely climb it's way onto the rock towards the light. I've had to do this very thing before.

How about the old ice cube trick? I've had to use that before to get my nem to release. And in this case I could just hold it to the outside of the cup, never contacting the ricordia directly.

I'm not familiar with the ice cube trick. I guess it is possible though a sudden temp change for an invert is not really a good thing. Others will have to chime in on this as I have no experience with that method.

Back
Top Bottom