Ricordia mushroom experience needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got 3 ricordia red and 3 ricordia orange mushrooms. If you know anything about these you know they are very expensive. I do not want to take any chances with these so I am asking for help. According to liveaquaria they need high light so I placed them approx I in approx 20 inches of water under a 250w MH sun replicator pendant. Will this be OK?
Any help would be appreciated.
Liveaquaria's description and link is below.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1410&N=0

The Pacific Red/Orange Ricordea is a member of the order Corallimorpharia (Stephenson, 1937), and has short, club, or berry-shaped tentacles. It shares some similarities to stony corals, and is also termed a Disc Anemone. It is found in a variety of color forms, but this type is an amazing vivid red/orange coloration. This type of mushroom is highly prized by the avid collector and makes a vibrant addition to the reef aquarium. Collected in small numbers, this coral is in very high demand by the discriminating reef aquarist.

It requires a medium to high light level, but metal halide lighting may be too bright, so when using halides, place the coral at the bottom of the aquarium. It prefers a low water movement within the aquarium. It is considered semi-aggressive and requires adequate space between itself and other corals. It reproduces by longitudinal fission.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within it provide the majority of its nutritional requirements from the light driven process of photosynthesis. It also eats plankton and smaller invertebrates such as crustaceans.

I've had some for about 6 mos... they're beautiful, aren't they. Mine do not like direct MH lighting at all. They've done much better since I moved them out of direct MH. They're about 15 inches deep under 150W 14,000K MH.

No one had responded so I tried to call where I purchased them again. This time I got someone. They said they were under MH lighting there.
IndyReefMan: From what you said it sounds like they will be OK where they are? 20"deep under 250w 1400 sun replicator pendants.

I have been reading and the only thing I found is someone said the color on theirs faded some under a 400w MH.

IndyReefMan: From what you said it sounds like they will be OK where they are? 20"deep under 250w 1400 sun replicator pendants.

I have been reading and the only thing I found is someone said the color on theirs faded some under a 400w MH.

That is exactly what happened to mine, and they started to shrivel up. After I moved them partially under a rock overhang, they perked right up. Leave them where you have them for now, but keep an eye on them. If they shrivel or begin to lose color, move them so they won't get direct MH.

I currently have a huge colony of Orange and a pretty big one of Green/Purple as well. I find that they do much better under PC's than MH. Mine are under 384 watts of PC and are fat and sassy... I mean some of the bumps or tentacles blow up to be as big as a fat boy pencil eraser... :lol: I have also witnessed this as well in the LFS. Those under MH are puny and small compared to the ones under VHO or PC.

I agree with putting them in a little more shaded of an area and see how they do... They may end up acclimating to the MH and be fine..

See in this pic

Attachments

• sm_orange_sunshine.jpg
    sm_orange_sunshine.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom