Right thinking on a coral banded shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ni111

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right thinking on a coral banded shrimp. Allready got a fire shrimp that hides alot but is abit terrortorial and a striped shrimp thats very freindly. Also a small bicolour blenny, pink spotted goby, and 2 clowns and 2 small crabs. What do you think ? i do a weekly water change with water a buy from the lfs which is allready heated salted and is ro/di :)

The coral banded may kill your other shrimp, from what I hear they are not compatible.:)

Peppermint shrimp are good cleaners and are cool. Camel shrimp are awsome. Harlequin shrimp look INSANE.

crister13 said:
Peppermint shrimp are good cleaners and are cool. Camel shrimp are awsome. Harlequin shrimp look INSANE.

+1 about the peppermint. I just got mine 2 days ago. They have been hiding for a while though.

FYI Harlequin shrimp eat only ONE thing, starfish. So you'd ahve to feed it starfish to keep it. I htought about it but couldnt see myself chopping off a leg of a starfish every week to feed the thing. They are spectacular though!

Sexy shrimp are way cool, I wanted some for my pico and then was thinking in my 20g but they are tiny. Not just small, but tiny. LOL

Theres lots of cool shrimp though and crabs too. Porcelain crabs are a nice size and can be seen, I like mine alot. I want to get another one in fact. :)

It's very possible it could kill your other shrimp. Each one seems to have it's own personality. I have a coral banded shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and a clean shrimp in the same tank, going on about 8 months now with no issues. The cbs hides during the day the roams the whole tank at night. I only see the peppermint shrimp when its time get her to release her eggs, and my cleaner shrimp set up shop next to my condy. Other people have had issues with them attacking fish, killing other shrimp, and nipping corals. None of which have been issues for me. So its always a roll of the dice.

I have a fire shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, and a coral banded shrimp all in the same tank. I have only had them for a week, but so far they are doing ok together.

I have a "thunder shrimp" AKA a coral banded that has gotten way too big for his own good. I had been under the illusion for years that they were reef safe. Mine has developed a Helter Skelter complex. All my other shrimp are missing and so are fire fish. I'm going to have to go night fishing to get him out and into my refugium. Haven't caught him red handed, but he looks guilty and fat.

Why do the things i want have to be complicated little buggers, manderins and harlequins :( haha, the sexy shrimp anyone think it would get ate or lost in the tank? and i like the camel aswell

Ni111 said:
Why do the things i want have to be complicated little buggers, manderins and harlequins :( haha, the sexy shrimp anyone think it would get ate or lost in the tank? and i like the camel aswell

The Golden coral banded shrimp is reef safe and will not attack your other shrimp.I even kept one in a 3 gallon Pico with 3 sexy shrimp with no problems.

Alas, I have the common BCS. And after many years in the hobby, I am just now finding out they can be a pest. Everybody had one in their reef tank a few years ago. I cant imagine him being able to kill a fish though.

Back
Top Bottom