Rinsing Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some plain sand to put underneath my live sand and I'm reading the bag . . .

"Rinse Sand Before Using"

It is "Nature's Ocean - Premium Marine Substrate" and I was wondering . . .

How do you rinse sand??? I've got 40 lbs of this stuff!

Thoughts?

Todd

I think there is an article on this web site on that but i really do not know. But I filled a 5 gal bucket with the sand and then rinse it with tap water till the water was mostly clear mix the sand and the water so all of the sand is getting washed. All you are doing is trying to get out all the fin stuff that will cloud your water. And when you add it to the water (if there is salt water in the tank) take a food bag and fill that then close the bag and drop it in the bottom and then open and move it around. Less dust in the water this way.

WarOrks15 said:
I think there is an article on this web site on that but i really do not know. But I filled a 5 gal bucket with the sand and then rinse it with tap water till the water was mostly clear mix the sand and the water so all of the sand is getting washed. All you are doing is trying to get out all the fin stuff that will cloud your water. And when you add it to the water (if there is salt water in the tank) take a food bag and fill that then close the bag and drop it in the bottom and then open and move it around. Less dust in the water this way.

First of all - thanks for the great adivce and the link.

Second of all - Are you telling me you rinsed you sand with TAP WATER!!! :) I'm using RO/DI water for everything now! In case you have not noticed I HATE DISOLVED SOLIDS!! :)

Anyway, this is perfect advice for my situation. Thanks for your efforts in getting this info my way.

Todd

I try to rinse as little as I can so that I keep as much of thew small particles that are required in the sand !
To avoid a white storm I freeze the sand and put in the frozen chunks one by one to avoid temp. drop !
It worked for me and did not stress the habitants

Back
Top Bottom