Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ripple effects in the tank

Does the ripple effects come from single metal halide bulb unlike fluos which run along the tank?

I am using NO on my nano but hardly see any ripple effect but the giant fish tank in the LFS has got huge underwater ripple shadow effect when they are using metal halides. I know it has got nothing to do with brightness but the angles of a single metal halide bulbs compare to NO fluos running along the tank is that true?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #2

i only have fw experience, but;

i was playing with an old hid light over my tank once, and it does cause this ripple effect you are asking about. the hob's agitated the water surface and the light which was hanging over the middle of the tank created a rippling effect and vivid shadows from the plants and fish alike. hth.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
I know it has got nothing to do with brightness but the angles of a single metal halide bulbs compare to NO fluos running along the tank is that true?
It has everything to do with the brightness and intensity of mh's. Not sure what you mean by angles of the bulb, but most, if not all aquarium mh's are mounted horizontally.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not very good at describing physic and no degree in physics but correct me if I am wrong. With fluos it is running across the top of tank, therefore all the light shown will shoot down to the botton vertically from the left to the right therefore render water surface ripple effect useless.

Whereas with one metal halide, say you only got a single bulb in the middle of the tank, the light shoot to the left side and right side of the tank will be at a certain degree of angle therefore the ripple on the water surface will cause ripple shadow effect underneath the water surface on either side only I think because the middle of the tank will have the metal halide right on top and will not have that much ripple effect. But if you use twin metal halide this spots can be covered by both metal halide angle and you get the total ripple effect full area under the water surface. Don't know if this make sense to everyone I am not a native english speaker.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only have 2x 3ft NO and I do get a ripple effect but not as intense as MH. Actually when the lights turn off and there's just the light from just the fixtures in the room I get a much more dramatic result, and they're a good couple of meters away..
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

weekf is right, its all to do with angle.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you suggest we do it to get a better effect?
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think fluo won't give much ripple effect strip light that is. For max ripple effect I will say a few single bulb light, not necessary a metal halide but something like a single bulb in nature spread them out and you still get ripple effect but metal halide just show them up more obviously because it is brighter I think.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I still don't know what you guys mean by angle. You have a mh bulb mounted horizontally or a flourescent bulb mounted horizontally so what diff angles are you talking about?
The ripples you see in the tank are actually shadows cast by the water surface, if thats what you guys are talking about. That comes from the intensity of a mh. Flourescents just are not bright or intense enough to cast a shadow that far into the water.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

cccapt is correct. What you guys are talking about can not be accomplished with PCs, VHOs, NOs or HOs, they just do not have the intensity needed to create the shadows. What are you are talking about the lamps and other lights you have that cause a ripple when you lights are off are because your lights are off. The NOs you are using cancel out the light from your lamps or other lights when they are on. If you want to create the ripple effect you need to upgrade to MH w/VHO actinics.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com