Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks so much for that explaination Steve... I was kind of lost on the feeding subject. One more thing - I do weekly 15% water changes right now and use the red sea calcium test kit. My calcium has been over a constant 500ppm while all other specs are ok. How do I get that down and will it neccesarily hender the growth of my 3 or so only corals in my tank and/or corraline algea growth? Is it bad?

Edit: I know my goal is 430-450... I have only a small hammer coral, flowerpot, and green mushroom atm.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidreamer
My calcium has been over a constant 500ppm while all other specs are ok. How do I get that down and will it neccesarily hender the growth of my 3 or so only corals in my tank and/or corraline algea growth? Is it bad?
If the calcium is that high without additions of a stand alone Ca product then I would have the Mg tested. Low Mg will cause Ca to climb independantly without additions until it gets quite high. I would also look at what a new batch of SW tests at to see if that's the cause. 500 ppm Ca will cause you problems eventually. It causes scleractinians to deposit CaCO3 much faster but in doing so the skelatal structure is very brittle and reedy. If it gets much higher, you could also experience polyp bail out with your LPS corals.

Quote:
Edit: I know my goal is 430-450... I have only a small hammer coral, flowerpot, and green mushroom atm.
Actually I would suggest your goal be 400-420 ppm. There's no reason to go beyond NSW levels. It serves no healthy purpose. Balance the alk and you'll be suprised how healthy your corals and mobile inverts will be.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome, just awesome. Definitely sheds some light on the parts I was clueless about. I guess I should have read up on all portions of the elements that make up the water cycle.... So, you think that if I bring a water sample to the LFS that they can test for MG? What should it be at? ....and what the hell are scleractininians? lol sorry, had to ask...
Old 04-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidreamer
So, you think that if I bring a water sample to the LFS that they can test for MG?
Not all stores carry this type of kit but a decent SW store should. I would also take a sample of newly mixed SW so they can help determine if there a deficiency there.

Quote:
What should it be at? ....and what the hell are scleractininians? lol sorry, had to ask...
A scleractinian is a coral with a hard skelatal frame. Some assume the acronym SPS stands for small polyp stoney coral. It actually stands for small polyp scleractinian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleractinia

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com