Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

River coming up, may have to evacuate

Hey all, The mighty Susquehanna is going up to a projected level of 40.9 feet,thats 2 feet higher than the great Agnes flood of 1972, If I have to go and turn off power and the river doesnt come over the banks how long can my inhabitants survive? (Press my info button for the list) I have no means to get them out on such short notice...

Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good luck on the tank and home, I lost my tank to Ivan but we were with out power for two weeks plus. could not even get back to see what was left for week. by then it was to late. But the heat was what did the most damage.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be ok for atleast several hours. FWIW I went w/ out power for about three hours recently w/ no problems. Can you get your hands on a battery operated air pump or two if you have too? That would be your best bet. The rain just won't stop around here!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
The rain just won't stop around here!
Our local news www.wnep.com says our heavyest rain has yet to arrive.I think after 4 or 5 hours I could just right this tank off, The last time we had to evacuate we were gone for three days and no power. you can click on the affects of flood levels near Wilkes-barre. I live 3 blocks from the river...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Battery operated air pumps are a lifesaver. Thankfully I don't live near a body of water, but know alot of people who do. The rains are causing alot of trouble here too...best of luck with everything.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Whats an E tank?

Sixline wrasse
Blue Mandarin (Ocean Nutrition pellet eater)
Ocallaris clown
Flame angel
Royal Gramma

Thats your list of fish for the 75. Its a semi light load so you should be OK for a short period of time before the fish start to suffer from O2 deprevation. As devlish mentioned a battery powered air pump is going to be a life saver for this kind of thing. Its not the air that the pump is putting in the water its the resulting water movement that helps oxygenate the water via gas exchange at the surface. If you dont have an airpump that runs on batteries you might have access to a DC/AC converter like those that you use in boats or trucks to run friges, etc off of your car battery. If you have access to one of those and a spair charged car battery (a deep cycle boat battery is best) than you can hook that up and run some small powerheads to move the water while the main power is off.

The temps should be OK as the rain will result in some cooler outside temps vs the high 80-90 tems we experenced last week. wrapping the tank in blankets (just dont drape them over the top) will also help keep the water temp more stable during this outage.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guy buy a Generator, protect your investment!!!! Sell it later or keep it for next time.
A $500.00 investment saves your $1000.00's invested
CPR Bak Pak Protein skimmer
Rena 200 watt heater
T-5 Ligihting
(2) 54 watt
(2) 36 watt
Water General RO+DI
(4) Homade Moonlights LED 470nm
87# Live Rock Gulf, Keys, Bali
80# Crushed Coral with Aragonite
(2) Percula Clownfish
(1) 3 Spot Domino Damselfish
(2) Yellowtail Damselfish
(2) Sargent Major Damselfish
(1) Choclate Chip Starfish
(3) Brittle Stars
Lots of Snails and Hermit Crabs (Not Identified)
(5) Crab (Not Identified)
(2) Black Urchin
(10) Dwarf Red tipped Hermit crabs
(7) Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
(9) Mexican Turbo Snails
(3) Peppermint Shrimp
Lots of other stuff (Not Identified)
divemasterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemasterjim

Guy buy a Generator, protect your investment!!!! Sell it later or keep it for next time.
A $500.00 investment saves your $1000.00's invested

Well that would be a nice investment but the last time this river hit 39 to 40 feet our second floor was under four feet of water ... lets hope it dont go there...
Old 06-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Pep Boys sells a nice 3500 watt generator for a little over $300. That is what I have.

I saw some of the news reports on the flooding there. Hope everything comes out well.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well me and about 200,000 others made it back or are on there way back after a mandatory evacuation... Every thing is well in my home including my tank and inhabitants... I didnt shut the power off,my thinking was if the water was coming the tank would have perished anyway but, If it didnt come and I shut the power off well I cant say those words... Anyway I hope all who had to endure this rain has the same fortune I did.

Tags
river

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com