River coming up, may have to evacuate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, The mighty Susquehanna is going up to a projected level of 40.9 feet,thats 2 feet higher than the great Agnes flood of 1972, If I have to go and turn off power and the river doesnt come over the banks how long can my inhabitants survive? (Press my info button for the list) I have no means to get them out on such short notice...

Good luck on the tank and home, I lost my tank to Ivan but we were with out power for two weeks plus. could not even get back to see what was left for week. by then it was to late. But the heat was what did the most damage.

You should be ok for atleast several hours. FWIW I went w/ out power for about three hours recently w/ no problems. Can you get your hands on a battery operated air pump or two if you have too? That would be your best bet. The rain just won't stop around here!

MT79 said:
The rain just won't stop around here!

Our local news www.wnep.com says our heavyest rain has yet to arrive.I think after 4 or 5 hours I could just right this tank off, The last time we had to evacuate we were gone for three days and no power. you can click on the affects of flood levels near Wilkes-barre. I live 3 blocks from the river...

Battery operated air pumps are a lifesaver. Thankfully I don't live near a body of water, but know alot of people who do. The rains are causing alot of trouble here too...best of luck with everything.

Whats an E tank?

Sixline wrasse
Blue Mandarin (Ocean Nutrition pellet eater)
Ocallaris clown
Flame angel
Royal Gramma

Thats your list of fish for the 75. Its a semi light load so you should be OK for a short period of time before the fish start to suffer from O2 deprevation. As devlish mentioned a battery powered air pump is going to be a life saver for this kind of thing. Its not the air that the pump is putting in the water its the resulting water movement that helps oxygenate the water via gas exchange at the surface. If you dont have an airpump that runs on batteries you might have access to a DC/AC converter like those that you use in boats or trucks to run friges, etc off of your car battery. If you have access to one of those and a spair charged car battery (a deep cycle boat battery is best) than you can hook that up and run some small powerheads to move the water while the main power is off.

The temps should be OK as the rain will result in some cooler outside temps vs the high 80-90 tems we experenced last week. wrapping the tank in blankets (just dont drape them over the top) will also help keep the water temp more stable during this outage.

010163545805_3.jpg

Guy buy a Generator, protect your investment!!!! Sell it later or keep it for next time.
A $500.00 investment saves your $1000.00's invested

divemasterjim said:
010163545805_3.jpg

Guy buy a Generator, protect your investment!!!! Sell it later or keep it for next time.
A $500.00 investment saves your $1000.00's invested

Well that would be a nice investment but the last time this river hit 39 to 40 feet our second floor was under four feet of water ... lets hope it dont go there...

Pep Boys sells a nice 3500 watt generator for a little over $300. That is what I have.

I saw some of the news reports on the flooding there. Hope everything comes out well.

Well me and about 200,000 others made it back or are on there way back after a mandatory evacuation... Every thing is well in my home including my tank and inhabitants... I didnt shut the power off,my thinking was if the water was coming the tank would have perished anyway but, If it didnt come and I shut the power off well I cant say those words... Anyway I hope all who had to endure this rain has the same fortune I did.

divemasterjim said:
last time this river hit 39 to 40 feet our second floor was under four feet of water
Last time?? 1972
How many times does it take? --- I didnt live in this house then
Why would you still live there?
-- Great place to live if you dont mind evacuating once a year. This is why there is flood insurance, When the water comes and recedes, call agent, sends money, get house remoddled...

That's a heck of a way to get a remodel!!! Glad it turned out well. If I were you, I'd invest in some sandbags. Maybe a levee. (J/K)

zuzecawi said:
Maybe a levee. (J/K)

I live three blocks from a 41 foot high levy... If and when it ever goes that high again there is no use in even trying because the river will win. divemasterjim asked why do I still live here? that like asking someone from Florida or California why they still live there in the Hurricane and earthquake zone's or for that matter why do people continue to build in tornado alley, Because we all Like the area we live in for whatever reason... I guess we really are "just gluttins for punishment" something my grandmother used to say before her hand would meet my bottom. 8O

I'm glad evrything turned out for the best... If there is ever a next time, and you have to turn power off. (this will only work if the house doesn't go under of course) You can use a couple of 12v car batterys and a 12v/240v converter to run your air and heaters. depending on load this can last a day or two...

ntswift said:
Good to hear you made it back okay!

Thanks,still trying to get the house back in order, Just wanted to post and let you know I havent forgotten about you, Its just been so hectic around here. I will make a stop on Wednesday and get them out to you...

Back
Top Bottom