RO ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to be installing my RO unit this weekend. It's going to be plumbed straight into my fuge with a float switch. 'Cuz I'm lazy and tired of the bucket brigade every night. Anyway, since the RO/DI unit pulls so much out of the water going into the tank, will I need to supplement the water with "essential elements", iodine, or anything else?

You will need to get test kits and test your water in your tank after you have used the ro unit for a while. Not knowing what is in your water from the begining there is no way anyone can answer that. Not knowing what kind of corals you have no one can say what you shold be adding.

If you are talking about using this as a top off system for water loss due to evaporation, then you need add nothing else. But as Seaham advises above, you should routinely check your chemistry to be sure that based on what is in your tank, your trace elements are adequate. HTH 8)

RO water is pretty darn pure. There won't be much in the way of trace elements or salts in the RO effluent. The routine water testing is a good idea. IMO, it might be possible to dilute your salinity and other parameters enough to cause osmoregulation problems in your tank community. I am not saying that this WILL happen, merely that it could happen and you need to address the possibility with routine testing.

diverdown69 said:
it might be possible to dilute your salinity and other parameters enough to cause osmoregulation problems in your tank community. I am not saying that this WILL happen, merely that it could happen and you need to address the possibility with routine testing.[/quote] What the Hell are you saying??? That adding top off water from a [acronym="Reverse osmosis"]ro unit will hurt the tank while using a float switch.

there will be no flaming. Flaming is not tolerated on this board.

Lets keep it civil or the thread will be locked.

Peace brothers, we are all trying to be helpful here. However, indy's original question did state that he is plumbing this to the fuge with a float switch. We just need to be careful that we understand the question and any descriptions so that the advice we dispense is as useful and correct as our knowledge tells us. Based on the information that was supplied, Diverdown69's advice was not totally accurate. Just have to be more careful is all. Have a fantastic day all!!! 8)

Did not know that Hell was a bad word for this site. I meant nothing by that just a word used to express myself. Trust me no feathers ruffled here.
I was just asking a question and wanted DD to clarify his response.
Not sure where the flaming comes in????? What is flamesuit???

The flamesuit is used to protect oneself from flames.
No harm, no foul. Let's all just be happy and nice. I missed part of the original post and said something stupid. That's that. Done.

Back
Top Bottom