RO...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
can any one recommend some RO systems?
i am going to get one but ... too many choices.

TBH, I don't even think the the extra 2 GAC chambers are necessary. There are 2 identical carbon filters before the DI, and then ANOTHER carbon filter after the DI? That seems strange... is all that carbon really needed?

None of the other "retail" units have that much GAC... could this be a ploy to get people to buy more replacement filters? :? And one other thing... it says 110 GPD, but the membrane is only rated at 100 gal? I like the positive feedback, but has anyone gotten the chance to compare FilterDirect to something like Aqua FX? :?:

Not saying the unit isn't good (i've never tried it), just curious. :D

I have the same unit that was mentioned above. I have been really happy with it so far. I did a good amount of reseach before buying and for the price ($110 shipped) you can't beat it. Not sure if all the GAC is "neccessary" but it's not gonna hurt.

tripper

The membranes are not going to be as good as an AquaFx. They probably use a cheaper china memberane where the Aqua FX uses the top grade DOW memberanes. As an example my 1 year old AquaFx Barrcuda still produces water with a TDS of 1 and that is still with the original membrane, prefilters and DI cartridge. I make about 40 gallons a week.

Too many carbons

RLG2182 said:
TBH, I don't even think the the extra 2 GAC chambers are necessary. There are 2 identical carbon filters before the DI, and then ANOTHER carbon filter after the DI? That seems strange... is all that carbon really needed?

OK, so I can not get the quote thing to work for me.

Just so you know a carbon (and most other material) is not a good thing to run after a DI. DI water is very aggressive and will dissolve most things it comes in contact with; depending on the carbon (being that it was once a living thing and contains phosphates) you can reintroduce phosphate to your ultra pure water.

The only time you would do this is for drinking water uses, where you are just polishing taste.

We had a customer use non-food grade container to catch their water w/ disastrous results. The contaminants in the “plastic leached into the DI water to produce a toxic soup.

Back
Top Bottom