Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

RO Booster pump auto shut off

Can someone that has a booster pump tell me how the auto shut off works? Do you have to have the any other equipment? Does it work similar to a float system where you can just produce the water into a rubbermaid and it shuts off when it reaches a certain level?

From what I have read it seems like it is a pressure switch but do you have to dump the water into a different type of container?

I have to order one in the next day or so

Thanks

Old 07-06-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i dont have one but need to get one !! but my understanding yes ya have to use it with a pressure tank but could be wrong of course

Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Steve. I thought that as well. Seems to me that it might be easier and cheaper to just get a normal pump and put it on a timer. With the pressure I have, little or no water will come out any way without the pump running.

I just did not want to spend $160 for a pump and shut off if I did not have too. I did see something on Premiumaquatics website called the RO buddy. Supposed to raise your income water temp so your RO filter gets its stated GPD.

Heard of this?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

raise the temp?¿? prob lower it!! its my understanding the colder the water is better !! can ya send me a link cant find that ro buddy thing
whats your pressure?? i have 42 lbs !!
what do ya mean by a normal pump ?? like a magdrive?? dont think it will have the pressure ya need or want ! ya can get a booster on ebay for $65
Old 07-06-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It says it attaches to your hot and cold lines to raise the water temp to 75-80 deg.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ode=reefrelief

By normal pump, I meant the $65 one from aquasafe on Ebay My RO filter has a higher GPD then the $65 pump so I was considering a bigger one. Not sure if it is that big of a deal anymore.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You'll need to hook the RO into a permanant water supply, and use a solenoid and a pressure switch to shut off the water coming from the RO when it gets to a certain pressure, usually they use a 20/40 switch. Mine works great.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

reef: So you need a pressurized container to put the RO water in, like said above? I got the container that comes with the kit but I had not really planned on using it. I think it only holds 4 gal. Is this what you use?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Either a pressurized container and a pressure switch or you could use a float switch connected to a solenoid. The solenoid is what is gonna shut the water on and off. IMO, the pressure switch with a pressure tank is better cause the unit won't be coming on and off all the time, that can really chew up your membranes. The solenoid and float switch will turn it on and off as the switcch is tripped and they are pretty sensitive.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

reefrunner did you look at that link ?? i swear i read that ro units should use only cold water?¿? think hot water coming from a hot water heater could/would cause issues ? also ive read that the pressure tanks can cause back pressure on your membrane and cause damage do you think this is tru ?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
reefrunner did you look at that link ??
Quote:
i swear i read that ro units should use only cold water?¿?
This is true, hot water should never be used in your RO filter.

Quote:
also ive read that the pressure tanks can cause back pressure on your membrane and cause damage do you think this is tru ?
Nope, think checkvalve

Tags
auto, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com