RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Needles15

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just bought a new rodi unit and it says on it 25 gpd.. But it comes out way faster than that!? So should I slow it down or is that a suggestion so I don't over use the filters ??

Well now that you say that, I could be.. I'll attach a picture and see if you could tell me which is waste and which is rodiImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395263126.851087.jpg

Red is pure water. It runs much slower than the dump water. I run the discharge hose into my garden.

Last edited:
Okay thanks Greg! Good thing I checked before doing my wc! Saved me some algae headaches!

Your unit may have a flush valve on the RO unit. I use that to help maintain the membrane. I do it every few months for a half hour.

I don't see a flush valve.. Is there any other way to do that.. And I've heard ppl talk about being able to test this Water and make sure it's pure and the membrane is still working, how do I do that and how often is it necessary to change the filters and membrane!?

You need to get a cheap TDS meter so you can check the condition of your filters. EBay is a good source.

Okay so I bought a tds meter and it is reading 246ppm.. Is this acceptable?? The rodi is brand new.. Maybe 100 gal through it

No, not at all. It should read close to zero. That sounds more like the incoming water.

I just tested from both blue and red water lines and both are the same.. Is there a way to clean the filters!?

It doesn't sound like the RO membrane is working or something is connected wrong. We have some pretty good folks on this forum that can help, but for now get some pictures together so we can see what were dealing with.

Hmm. On my unit the blue is pure and the red is waste. Whichever is coming out the slowest should be the pure. Double check to make sure everything is connected in the correct order. The TDS should be 0 or very close to it.

Hmm. On my unit the blue is pure and the red is waste. Whichever is coming out the slowest should be the pure. Double check to make sure everything is connected in the correct order. The TDS should be 0 or very close to it.

Thank you.. The red line def comes out slower. I did a little research and found out I may have ruined my membrane by washing it with tap water.. So looks like I'll be buying new.. Does that sound like that would be the problem? And should I change all filters!?

I am not sure if that would ruin it. maybe someone else has some insight into that before you buy a new membrane. Was this a brand new unit? If so you should not have to replace the filters. Did you let it run for about an hour before testing it? I know brand new units should be flushed for about an hour before use.

The membrane is use to tap water, that is what it's processing :)

What did you do that makes you think you destroyed it? If it was perforated that would account for the reading you are getting.

If it was a new unit I would double check all filters and connections are properly hooked up, then let it run for an hour and double check your readings.

Okay I'll start to let it run right now! Thanks I'll let you know the readings, thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom