RO/DI ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got an RO/DI and I have been doing 20 gallons a day for about 5 days now and I have added about 100 gallons to my tank. My tank has a total of 85 gallons total..how many more do you think I should do to make sure my tank is about 90% RO...also I left my lights on for like 5 hours and I started to get cyno again does anyone know what up with that?

If you've already changed over that much water I'd just let the cyano run it's course... it'll burn itself out eventually...

What was the original source of your PO4 problem?
Have you tested you RO water for PO4?

Could it be the foods you are feeding?
If you have eliminated the cause then it should burn out rather soon.

I don't know weather or not the PO4 is present my former neightbor is coming over Thur. to let me know my specs. because he is experenced I will let you know what comes up...Im not sure if the cyano is burning out but I'm not going to leave my lights on for more than six hours a day because more than that and I am affaird I will develope a problem.

I've recently battled the same problem with phosphates. The best way to win the battle is to use Phosguard with water changes(even if your are using RO/DI water). I noticed that any water change would spur a cyano outbreak. Also, if you want to get on top of the cyano problem, there is a chemical called Cheme-Clean that will clear it up in up in about an hour without harming inverts or corals. But you still need to eliminate your phosphate source or it will just grow back.

Thank you Stower02 I plan on getting my phospahte checked Thursday and if it does come up that its not good in my RO I think I am going to purchase some of the Phosguard you described. My cyano is under control right now after a 36 hour black out.

Stowers02 said:
I've recently battled the same problem with phosphates. The best way to win the battle is to use Phosguard with water changes(even if your are using RO/DI water). I noticed that any water change would spur a cyano outbreak. Also, if you want to get on top of the cyano problem, there is a chemical called Cheme-Clean that will clear it up in up in about an hour without harming inverts or corals. But you still need to eliminate your phosphate source or it will just grow back.
Eliminate in one hour? That is mighty quick.

Tell me, does chemi-clean take care of red algae as well?

If you are getting detectable PO4 in your RO/DI water then it is time to change out the filters and membrane. I believe the actual membrane and DI resin are responsible for removing PO4. I have used Chemi-Clean and it is a great product. However, it will only remove the exsisiting cycno from your tank. It will do nothing to keep it from coming back. It is important to identify the source of the cyno and correct it to prevent further oubreaks. Try doing water changes with high quality RO/DI water, cut back on lights and food, add more flow to your tank and crank up the skimmer first.

I don't have a skimmer... perhaps that's my problem?

With that much stuff in a tank, I'd say a skimmer should be required... or at the very least, help significantly...

Back
Top Bottom