Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-15-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman

I am planning on getting a RO or RO/DI. I'm going to be in an apartment that I cannot really install a unit perminitly. Since I have never used one of these before I was wondering what I could do. Anyone have any ideas for some sort of stand or something to hold the unit up on the counter while it is in use?

Also I still haven't picked a unit out. I will be moving within 20 mins of Thatfishplace in lancaster, pa. I was going to just get one from there, but if anyone knows of any better deals or better units then www.Thatfishplace.com has let me know. I can spend around 200 on one. Also RO or RO/DI?

rthoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Get an Ro/Di unit. You'll thank yourself later.

I ended up getting the 6 stage unit from filterdirect on ebay. The unit is awesome!! Gives me 100% pure water and is decently fast. You can ask them for the in-line cold water connector for no extra charge. I would also recommend getting and installing a float valve so that way you'll never risk overflowing your container bucket. Runs about $16. The entire setup, plus float valve and water TDS meter, with shipping was under $150. A steal if you ask me!

You can just stick it under the counter. Keep an extra bigger bucket for the waste water since you can't install perm.

RLG2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I also got the 6 stage RO/DI from filterdirect and have no complaints. If you have a laundry room, you could easily hook it up to the cold water connection to the washer and just have the drain tube going down your washer drain, this was nothing is preeminently
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
—Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000
ClamKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone here mounted their RO/DI unit to a piece of plywood, on a small cart with a big tub underneath. Then they just connect to the sink, run it over night, disconnect and wheel it over to their aquarium to fill up.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
I love my AquaFX Baracuda (especially the inline TDS meter, pressure gauge, and the clear compartments so you can see the status of your filters). I did a lot of research and spent a little more on the better unit.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com