Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
ro/di

ok, so ive got the ro/di installed. is it normal for the water pressure to go down (next to nothing)? or does that mean i dont have enough wter pressure in the first place?

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I assume you mean the water pressure coming out of the end of the RO/DI. Yeah, it will be much less after the water is "processed". That is normal.

How many gallons per day does you RO/DI handle? I have a 75GPD unti so I have a "little" stream coming out of the end of mine.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i think its 75 or 100. ive got hooked to the faucet, so the water coming out doesnt have much pressure at all. im glad to hear that is normal, i thought it wasnt taking out any of the "bad stuff" if there wasnt enough pressure, thanks.

hope dies last
Old 03-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
normal house water pressure is 55psi. most ro/di run the best at 65psi which is recommended. my house is 65psi. if you have a pressure gauge on you unit thats good. but not nessary. you can always buy one cheap. on my deluxe maxxima 35g.p.d. i have the t.d.s. monitor and pressure gauge. the water comes out really fast drip to steady small steam. when starting new the water will take it's time coming out of the blue line, your red or waste water should have a fast thick stream. you always have to let in run in the sink for 1/2 hour from new carbon or D.I. your T.D.S. monitor will tell you when it's ok. mine runs at 005 for 10 min then to 000. the other 20 min is playing it safe. with no D.I. your phos reading should be o. if membrane is dirty .oo2 max.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
you may find use of a pressure tank AFTER the ro membrane. I have a 2.5 gallon one which allows the water to flow out of the tap at a much faster rate. of course once I use it up, it drops back to a tiny trickle.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for the tip. i think ill just deal with it, after all no more trips to the store for water! hehe. here in fl, the water is awfull, so im glad just to be able to drink from the faucet. i was mainly concerned if that would make the unit not perform, but it is, because we used to have alot of pressure. thanks, if i get annoyed enough ill try it.

hope dies last
Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

a booster pump is a good investment to a ro/di unit... I got one on ebay for a great price..
They bring the unit up to the propper pressure needed. Running the unit on a pump saves me money in the long run... I used to change out the resin about every 2 months now I am running with the same resin 9 months now...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

would you happen to have the link or the seller? or can i just search booster pump for ro/di? excuse the ignorance, im not sure what im looking for.

hope dies last
Old 03-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...34&siteid=6for the pump or http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...64035&siteid=6 13.99 for the pressure gauge. your house pressure should be 50-65p.s.i. make sure that you buy a R.O. flush kit, this thing is great just turn the handel for 20 sec. and back. done.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
Old 03-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

take a 1 gal water jug and see how long it takes to fill up. from your blue line. a 24g.p.d=1 g.p.h. 50=2g.p.h. 75=3g.p.h. 100=4g.p.h. if you get alot more ; than flow restrictor is not seated right, same for too less. i would just run it to your sump and have a float valve there so no more adding water,auto top off.

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com